CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

chapter twenty-three

gonna set your flag on fire

ESME HAD CREPT her way, awkwardly, into the kitchen where Elijah gripped onto the handle of the whisk that he turned with use of his wrist to smooth the eggs he had voluntary chosen to make for the three of them to start off their day. His lips had brushed across Hope's forehead, leaving a kiss filled with love as his eyes lingered on Hayley who held the child within her arms, who's eyes were lingering on the Original to be reminded with their intimate night that Esme had been unfortunate to hear as she chose to read a book of the rest of the night. Esme's greeted the pair smile after clearing her throat that drew their attention towards her leading to them jumping apart as if they were afraid to bring questioning to the tension between the both of them.

Esme had been trying to get hold of Rebekah, who's body rested in her coffin and her body swap, Angelica Barker had been who she had owned the number of, waiting to hear the woman's voice that reassured her it was her best friend. She had pushed her phone into the back pocket of her jeans as she awaited for the silence between the three of them would've been broken, but it seemed that words could hardly be formed to have had been exchanged causing a snort to pass her lips and she had approached the refrigerator.

The Browne's eyes examined what sat on the shelves of the fridge, ignoring the fact that Elijah was making breakfast and hoping to fill her craving of strawberries but their absences had caused her to frown. Her grip tightened on the handle of the fridge door from her irritation that made her grip tighten to her knuckles had turned ghost white. "There are no strawberries." Esme announced before turning on her feet to face the pair who had distanced themselves from each other. "How did you both sleep?" She pondered before scanning over the food that Elijah conjured together.

"Well, thank you for asking, Esme." Elijah answered before he had slowed his whisk in the glass bowl. "If you are hungry, I am making pancakes this morning, enough to feed you and my nephew."

"Uh," Esme hesitated as she tucked her hair behind her ear while examining over the mix. "sure." She caved in as she rested against the countertop covered in different ingredients that Elijah had incorporated. "Just put a lot of sugar into it. Pregnancy gives me a sweet..." Her voice had trailed off as she noticed the way that Elijah's hand had shook stiffly with his grip far to tight on the whisk that brought Esme to her concern. "Tooth. Elijah, how about I continue whisking?" Esme suggested as she walked towards his side to take over making the mixture, making sure that it didn't seem threatening her approach. "You warm up the pan?"

Elijah's nodded slowly before leaving Esme's side with the whisk within his grasp. "Esme," Hayley called after the light brunette who beat the eggs, making sure she done it gently for the safety of her child. "Klaus is on his way. I'll tell him to pick up strawberries for you."