CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

chapter twenty-three

the map of moments

"WELL, ISN'T THIS place rather nice?" Esme's eyes had finally pulled away from Hope as she sat in her play cot, fumbling with the toy in which Esme had given for her entertainment. For as long as her attention had been on Hope and making sure she was happily preoccupied she hadn't done much of the home they hadn't touched since the Christmas after fleeing from Mikael. It was still in good condition and carried a warmth that pitted in Esme's stomach, she felt at home. Rebekah had been wandering around the house, adding little directions given it was bonfire season and she was prepared to carry on a tradition she felt fitted her and her family correctly. Within the blonde's hold was a bottle of red wine, one in which she was happy to serve up for her brother who was fiddling with the curtains hanging in front of the window, not a spec of dust was in place on any surface. "Nik must have compelled a wine lover to keep it up, because I found a 2005 Bordeaux. Fancy a sip?" Esme knew she couldn't have a taste of that wine for the sake of her baby drawing her attention to her glass of water sitting on the side table.

Elijah's hand pulled away from the curtain yet his eyes lingered on the fabric as his back faced his little sister, he was still in a foul mood given that she had snapped his neck and treated him as if he was fragile. Esme could see the difference in Elijah, how there seemed to have had been more tension building in his shoulders than usual, he stood uncomfortably in a room where he should've felt comfortable. "Appreciate the sentiment, Rebekah. But I do recognise when I'm being handled with kid gloves."

The glass had Esme's lips had been pulled away by her hand as she fell into concern for the Mikaelson feeling as though he was hiding how he truly felt. "How are you feeling, Elijah?" She asked before resting her glass back onto the table with a slight frown that had wormed its way onto her lips.

"Patronised." Esme sighed while Elijah spun on the souls of his shoes to face the two women standing before him. He was trusted to have had been protecting Esme, Hope and Rebekah but it seemed that they were caring more for him. "I am here to protect you."

"I know you mean to, Elijah."

His brows arched with doubt. "Yet you found it necessary to render me unconscious before bringing me here." He remarked.

"Well, you weren't yourself," Rebekah defended, she felt that what she did was for the better. The slaughter in which Elijah had done was no doubt bringing Esther closer to them and they couldn't have that. "and I need to get us out of that dinner. What happened back there?"

Elijah's eyes pulled away from Rebekah, trying to remind himself of what he had seen within the diner and what had made him kill every single one of those innocent people. "I don't know. Niklaus sent me to protect Hope and Esme. My job is to keep them safe."