CHAPTER NINETEEN

chapter nineteen

chapter nineteen.
a closer wall with thee

KLAUS COULDN'T RECALL the last time in which he had woken from a nightmare, where he was gasping from fright as soon as his eyes had opened and he had gathered his bearings that it was all in his head. The slight groan that had escaped his lips hadn't even woken up the Browne laying in the bed beside him as she was far deep in her slumber. As he rolled away from the edge of the bed, he had nestled closer towards her as he recalled the events of his nightmare that caught him in disbelief and fright.

Mikael haunted his dreams, a night in which it had happened after a really long time. As his eyes took in his surroundings to know that he was where he was supposed to be before looking up at Esme dressed in one of his shirts for the night. He smiled at how peacefully she had looked as he continued to get closer and closer to her until she had unconsciously rested her head against his chest causing his arm to swing around around her shoulder to hold her close to him.

His chin fell onto her head as his eyes begun to flutter close to where he was able to hear the beating of the hearts within the room. His and hers...with thought of going back into his slumber his eyes had opened with the hearing of a third heartbeat. Klaus' brows furrowed in confusion as he believed that it was only him and Esme laying with her room but as he had listened again, the beat of two heartbeats had only been counted and third made it seem like it was never there.

He thought he had imagined it or his mind was playing awful tricks on him for the night. Klaus couldn't find himself falling back to sleeping, leading him to staring up at the ceiling as if it was to coax him back to his slumber. But the nightmare of his father had kept him awake throughout the rest of the night, he was too scared to close his eyes again incase he would face that haunted him all his life.

With careful movement he had slipped out from beneath Esme, leaving her to hug a pillow as if she'd never realise that he had left her to tend to his bedroom. Whenever his mind needed to be lifted off of things, where he couldn't sleep he had taken interest in the blank canvas sitting on the easel in his room. He questioned what his masterpiece was going to be as he twirled the brush between his fingers until approaching footsteps into his room had caught his attention.

Esme yawned as she hugged onto herself with a slight smile spread on her lips. Her eyes were barely opened as she stumbled her way into Klaus' room with concern. "Hey, you okay?" She questioned before leaning against the doorframe. "It's pretty early..."

"Just had a bad dream, that's all." Klaus told causing the brunette to frown. "I couldn't fall back to sleep and I didn't want to wake you so I came in here."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Esme questioned as she begun her way towards the hybrid who shook his head lightly. "Is everything okay, Nik?"

"I-I don't know."