Chapter 1

It's the third month of school and there's already so much marking to be done. I look up from the papers in front of me when I hear my name being called in the classroom. My eyes scan the room and see a boy in the second row of the class raising his hand in the air. It seems Wren has another question to ask. 

"Ms. Dawson, would you be able to help me with this?" he asks shyly.

"Come up to my desk Wren," I tell him waving my hand. Most teachers would have gotten fed up if one student was continuously asking questions but I on the other hand don't get mad. As a teacher, I have to be there to always answer their questions, even if it's the same question over and over again. So long as I'm a teacher, I'll answer their questions no matter how many times it takes me.

"What do you need to ask Wren?" I ask quietly.

"I'm having a problem with this question," he says pointing to the sheet. I look at the question he's pointing to and see that it is an addition problem.

"Are you having a problem with adding and carrying the numbers over?" I ask him. He nods his head, looking down at his feet shyly. I lower my head so I'm able to look him in the eyes.

"Wren, there's no need to be shy. You can always come to me if you need help, okay?" I tell him and I watch him look up at me, breaking out into a toothy smile. For a second grade student, he's beyond adorable. "Now, let's do this problem together, and you can understand how to do this," I say excitedly. For the next couple of minutes, I go over the question, step-by-step so he has a clear understanding of the lesson. As soon as I'm finished explaining the bell goes off signalling that it's the end of the day.

"Okay everyone, it's time to pack your belongings and then line up at the door," I announce to the class. I watch them quickly put their things in their bags and then rush to line up.

"You all know the rules in the hall. Follow the gold line and no talking. Nina, since you're at the back of the line can you please close the door behind you?" I ask her.  She nods her head as I open the door. I lead my class down the hall past other students leaving and out of the school.

"Bye, Timothy, remember to bring your snack money tomorrow," I remind him as I wave him off to his dad. One by one I say goodbye to my students and their parents until I'm left standing with Wren.

"Wren, who's coming to pick you up?" I ask turning to look down at him.

"My dad is," he says in a quiet voice. His father is always the one to pick him up but he's always late when coming to get him. Today I'm going to wait with Wren and then speak to his father about always coming late. Maybe his parents could figure out some accommodations instead of having Wren wait an hour for his parents.

"Okay, let's go back inside and wait," I tell him as I hold the school door open for him. He grabs my hand as we go back inside the school to the office and we're walking slowly down the hall when I notice that Wren's face is looking pale, his forehead is lined with sweat. Why didn't I see this before in class? I open the door for the main office and seat him on the bench in front of the secretary desks. I crouch down, looking at him directly in his eyes. 

"Wren, are you feeling okay? You don't look so well," I question. I watch him look away from me and shake his head. "Wren, remember what I told you in class. You can tell me whatever you need to, okay," I say with a gentle voice. He's silent for a couple of minutes before I hear a quiet mumble coming from him.

"What did you say? Can you say it a little louder?" I ask softly.

"It hurts Ms. Dawson," he mumbles lowly.

"What hurts Wren?" I ask, looking at him in worry.

"My stomach," he answers, his arm wrapping around himself.