Chapter 27

"Alright, everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful winter break and don't forget to do your assigned homework during the break," I tell all my students. Excited chatter goes around the room due to the fact it's the last day of school and they have the next two weeks off from school. Any student would be excited about that, I remember being the same when I was their age and growing up.

I pack up the sheets I'm planning to take home to mark for during the break and anything else I might need during that time. I put on my winter coat and hat as I wait for my students to line up by the door. It was a fun day for all of us, a class party for the whole afternoon including watching a movie. 

"Okay everyone, line up in the hall," I tell them as I stand beside the door. As soon as the last student walks out I turn off the lights and close the door. Until the new year.

"Ms. Dawson, what are you doing for Christmas?" one of my students asks me as we walk down the hall.

"Spending time with my family most likely. What about you Alyssa?" I ask her.

"Me too," she says with a toothy smile.

"That's great to hear," I smile back. I spend the next ten minutes dismissing my excited students until I'm only left with Wren.

"Let's go home Wren," I tell him as we walk back into the school. He grabs onto my hand and we walk down the hall passing by the office when I hear my name being called. I turn to see Clarissa waving her hand towards me.

"Hey Clarissa, are you going home now?" I ask, waiting for her to catch up to us.

"In a bit. I still have to organize some things in my class before I leave," she replies. "Are you excited about the break Wren?"

"Me and Ms. Dawson are going to play with my cousins!" he exclaims.

"That sounds very nice, I hope you have fun with them," she replies.

"We're going to get going, Clarissa, we'll see you in the new year," I tell her with a wave of my hand. I turn, walking to the front door but freeze in my steps when I hear her next words.

"Okay, take care of yourselves during the break. I'd hate to hear anything bad happening to you," she says. I turn around to ask her what the hell she's talking about but she's already walking back to her class. My grip on Wren's hand tightens as we walk out to the parking lot. It's so casual but her words leave an ominous feeling in my stomach.

"Mommy, are we going to Aunt Cleo's house today?" Wren questions when we reach the car.

"Yes, your aunt insisted that we all stay over the next couple of days since Christmas is just around the corner," I reply as I monitor him putting on his seatbelt.

"Is Jax coming too? I don't want him to be alone," he questions with a pout.

"You don't have to worry Wren. Your big brother is staying with us too, we're not leaving him alone," I tell him, easing his anxiousness. It's been more than a week since Jax and I talked with my brother and Jason and our little plan has slowly started. From what Jason told us, when he went to work the next day, he was immediately confronted by the chief of police for being at our house. 

Jason was warned he shouldn't start poking his nose in things that don't concern him, should stay far away from us. Most likely those are words coming from Lorenzo. I turn down our street and slow down my car when I see a car parked in the driveway, one that isn't Jax's. Who the hell is that? I park my car at the curb and step out at the same time as the driver. My eyebrows shoot up in surprise when I see who it is. 

"Mr. Coleman, what are you doing here today?" I question. Is he here for another inspection?

"I'm not here on a house visit today Ms. Dawson. We can continue this conversation inside," he tells me. Wren's social worker being here doesn't mean anything good. I open the door and the three of us make our way inside the house to discuss whatever Paul has to tell me.