Chapter 50

"Okay, let's talk about what happened." It's been two days since Jax and the rest rescued Wren and me from the mafia and Jax staying in the hospital. After his last checkup, we were allowed to leave the hospital so long as he continued to get rest before we flew back home in a couple of days. So here we are now, in a decked-out hotel room that we're also sharing with Jason and Cody, the five of us sitting around a table, while Wren is preoccupied with a children's movie that's playing on the television.

"What do you want to know Rhett?" I ask slowly,  my fingers softly running through Jax's hair.

"Everything, start from the beginning," he tells me as he opens his laptop.

"Well, Friday night Jax got a call from Lorenzo to do another money run in a city an hour away," I say looking to Jax for confirmation.

"Lorenzo instructed me to go meet one of his dealers but when I got to the warehouse it was empty. I waited maybe thirty minutes before I got a call from Jason about his fucking psycho wife knocking him out," Jax growls out, his hand gripping my waist from where I am perched on his lap.

"Actually ex-wife," Jason voices out. We all look at him, me in surprise and he only rolls his eyes. "You didn't think I was going to keep calling her my wife, did you? I've had divorce papers waiting since the day I found out she was part of the mafia. It was just a matter of time before making it official."

"So you already sent out the paperwork then?" I ask him in excitement. Besides Jax and me I want Jason to put this behind him as well so he can have a fresh start.

"Not yet but now that she's arrested and most of the force is arrested, I can freely send it in," he replies with a smirk. "I was the one who arrested her  to start bawling like I was going to fucking save her, I felt satisfaction at the end of it."

"I'm glad she's out of your life now Jason, you'll do so much better without her. You and Oli," I tell him with a smile as I reach out to high-five him.

"Anyway, back to the matter at hand, continue what you were saying Charlotte," Rhett says focusing back on the primary objective.

"Well after Jax left, Wren and I finished watching a movie and right when we were going upstairs, there was a loud banging sound coming from the front door and then the back door was broken into. The two of us went to hide upstairs and I tried calling Jason because he was the closest person to us with a gun considering Jax was gone but he didn't pick up," I tell him.

"Sorry about that Charlotte, Kerri got the fucking jump on me when I wasn't paying attention," Jason apologizes to me.

"I know, Kerri gloated about it to me when we were leaving for their private jet," I tell him waving off his apology. "So, yes, I couldn't get a hold of Jason and they found out where we were hiding, told us to get out and I had no choice to listen considering who I was with," I say looking at Wren, who's still happily watching the movie. I can't even imagine if things took a turn for the worse and he's not here with us right now.

"After they told you to get your passports, you also left the note for Jax so we could use it to track your watch," Rhett notes. "Then they took you out of the country."

"That's basically it but in all honesty what you planned Rhett would have worked if you didn't leave out such a big detail to your past. Your mom is the wife of Lorenzo, Robert is your half-brother; why the hell did you not mention that?" I ask slamming my hands on the table in frustration. It's been slowly simmering ever since we were safe, I can't just fathom why he kept quiet.

"Calm down Charlotte," Jax says in a low voice to me. "He got his ass kicked when we found out his connection to them."

"Do you know what your mom told me? She said that even though you ran away from them when you came to Canada, she knew who you were in a heartbeat when she saw a photo of you. As much as I hate blaming people for things, it's your fault we got into this mess that they had to take such drastic measures, an innocent child was dragged into a conflict between us adults," I accuse. "I just wish you said something," I sigh sadly. Rhett looks at me with remorse on his face that he hid his past from us. I'm speaking from anger but my priority is Wren and something else could have been done to have him more protected.