Chapter 18

"I'm trying so hard not to be biased but little Alexa here has to be the cutest out of your four children," I say brushing her soft cheeks. Alexa, born at four in the morning weighing six pounds is giving me a cavity with how cute she is. 

"Of course you would say that," Cleo chuckles as she changes Alexa's diaper. This moment with my sister-in-law and niece has to be the calmest moment I've had all morning. Normally if I had the kids over it'd be a lazy day in pyjamas but because of the excitement last night, waking up to four children jumping on your bed is not a great start to the day. Plus feeding them, getting them to shower and dressed is a mission. God bless Cleo for doing this every day.

"How did Jax's meeting go?" she asks once she's finished swaddling Alexa and passing her to me.

"Not good, not good at all," I tell her. Her eyes widen, and I know a million questions are running through her head.

"What about going to the police? He can inform them of what's happening and then the police can handle it from there," she suggests. That's honestly not a bad idea but that's the same question I asked this morning and the answer I got was one even I wasn't expecting.

《 Flashback

"I just realized something, why can't you go to the police?" I question as I sip my coffee.

"I could but not only will they be watching me for a bit to see if my loyalties lie with them but there are people from the police that are working with them. I saw them last night," Jax explains as he feeds Chris. "Somehow they got the police to work with them."

"Are you kidding me? People from the law are in that dirty business?" I ask incredulously.

"This is reality sweetheart. I can't go to the authorities because I don't know how deep the corruption is within the force," he tells me.

"So you're still on your own then?" I say with a frown. "What about going to the officers that were working Wren's case?"

"Well, it turns out they also work with Lorenzo," he says shrugging his shoulders. "Not to mention they were there and greeted me like nothing was wrong."

"What the actual chicken nuggets!" I exclaim as I throw my hands in the air. Jax stops wiping the island down of the milk Chris knocked over, looking at me with his eyebrows raised before bursting out in laughter.

"Chicken nuggets? Really?" he questions, the mirth clear in his eyes.

"I can't exactly swear in front of a child can I?" I say giggling. He moves from his seat, covering Chris' eyes as he presses his lips to mine in a slow kiss. I place my hand on his cheek, moving my lips slowly against his. I pull away from him, our eyes locked on one another.

"I'll be fine so try not to worry so much. I'm more worried about you and Wren," he tells me as his laughter dies down.

"Even if you tell me not to, I care too much to pretend this isn't happening," I whisper. Jax helps Chris down from his seat, allowing him to run off to where the rest of the boys are watching a movie. 

He moves towards me, pulling me up from my seat into a hug. I rest my head on his chest, his chin on my head. He lets out a sigh, squeezing me even tighter before I hear him whispering, "I know angel, I know you do."

End of Flashback 》

"I'll bring it up with him. You'd think that you'd only see something like this in a movie but no, this is real life," I sigh, keeping quiet about what I know of the police. Cleo hands me Alexa as she relaxes back into her pillows. She's silent for a couple of minutes before her face brightens.