Chapter 24

Silence. That word resonates in my head as I focus on the gun currently pointed at me. It's like the word is being knocked into my head over and over again as I stare at the gun; no doubt he's enjoying my reaction. 

"You'll kill me if I tell anyone that Jax is connected to the mafia or there's a mafia syndicate in the city," I say, speaking the words aloud.

"Not just you dear Charlotte. Every single person that is close to you. I told you we're keeping an eye on you so we know," he sneers, a cold smile on his face. As soon as he says that, a scene of all my family members dead flashes across my eyes.

"No. You won't touch them, any of them. They have nothing to do with this," I yell standing up.

"Ah, but once you were pulled into this world, they became a part of it too," he chuckles coldly. "We silence all that expose our world." This man is revolting, a monster. I want to run but I can't, as if my body is frozen.

"You won't get away with it, Lorenzo. Someone will take you down," I threaten. He doesn't say a word and the next thing I hear is a loud bang.

"Who will, you? I don't know if Jax told you but I have the police under my thumb so no one there can help you. This is a warning Charlotte, do not test me," he says as lowers his arm with the gun. I glance down at my arm and see the bullet just grazed my jacket, tearing a bit of the material. I turn to look behind me and see the bullet embedded deep into the wall. I slowly sit back down on the sofa, the reality of him shooting me from where I stand is real.

"It's interesting to see such a spirited woman that has the balls to talk back to me. Maybe I should just take you from Jax myself. You wouldn't say a word about our operations and I'd have you in my bed day and night. To fuck you how I'd like," he says with a lecherous smile. Before I can even say a word I feel a hand squeezing my shoulder.

"That's enough Lorenzo." I turn around and see Jax, slightly out of breath but still, he's here.

"I see you've already called him, a wise decision Charlotte. Who knows what would have happened if you didn't," Lorenzo says, leaning back into the chair.

"What are you doing? I don't want to play games with you. The agreement is that she and her family are kept out of this," Jax growls out.

"Yes, but I just had to see your woman for myself and have a talk with her. I think we've come to an agreement, am I my dear?" he says coolly looking back at me. I nod my head wordlessly, words stuck in my throat. "Very well, you may leave. As for you Jax, I want you back here later tonight. You need to be taught a lesson in interrupting people," he says with a dismissive wave of the hand. I get up, walk around the sofa and lace my fingers with Jax's as we exit the room.

"Where's Wren?" Jax questions as we walk down the hall.

"He should be in the kitchen. One of Lorenzo's men took him there," I tell him.

"Let's get him and we get the fuck out of here," Jax says as he leads us to where the kitchen is. His hand is gripping mine so tight, his knuckles are white and his face is pinched with anger. He can't hide how pissed off he is. We walk into the kitchen and we find Wren sitting at the table silently with my phone still in his hand and orange peels in front of him. He looks up to see us standing at the entryway and he immediately jumps up from his seat.

"Mommy," he says, running up to me and throwing his arms around my waist.

"I'm here Wren," I say placing my hand on his head.

"Let's go," Jax says as he picks up Wren and takes my hand again as he leads us out of this horror house. We stop outside my car and I open the back door for Wren before closing it so he doesn't overhear us. I turn to face Jax and he brushes my hair behind my ear, cupping my cheek.