Chapter 11

"Wren, do you know what today is?" I ask him as I drive us back home. Going to school today left me in a state of exhaustion and it's a miracle that I didn't fall asleep while teaching my students. It's not like I can fall back on the old habits I had during my years in high school and university. I remember my classmates would be amazed that I can take naps in class and during tests but still have top marks; those were the good old days.

"Umm, I forgot," he says with a giggle.

"We're having a sleepover tonight," I say turning to face him when I reach a red light.

"I forgot!" he exclaims, his eyes comically going wide.

"I'm glad you remember," I chuckle. "We have to get the house ready for when they come over."

"But Charlotte, where will they be sleeping?" he asks me.

"Don't you worry, I have everything planned, your job is to have fun," I tell him, my eyes meeting his through the mirror. It's silent in the car as I start driving again when the light changes, the only sounds coming from the radio before I hear Wren calling my name again.

"Yes, Wren?" I ask glancing back at him.

"What are we going to be doing?" he asks in curiosity. 

"That's a surprise," I chuckle. I turn down the street and as I reach my house I notice a car sitting in the driveway, a car I don't recognize. Who's in my house? I park my car in front of the house and walk to Wren's door to open it.

"Are they here?" he questions as I pop open the trunk to grab his backpack and mine before slamming it shut.

"It's not their car which means we have a guest," I answer as I offer my hand to him and he quietly holds onto it as we walk up the steps. "Jax? We're home," I call out.

"We're in the living room," he replies. I slip off my shoes and place Wren's jacket in the coat closet before walking to the living room. As soon as we step in my eyes meet Wren's social workers.

"Ms. Dawson, it's very nice for you to join us," Paul Coleman says greeting me. 

"Mr. Coleman, Ms. Lee. It's nice to see you two again," I greet taking a seat on the sofa beside Jax. I let go of Wren's hand so he can take a seat beside me but instead he moves to sit on my lap. My face breaks out into a small smile at his actions before schooling a more serious expression. 

"This won't take long but we do want to see how Wren is adjusting to his new environment," Paul tells me.

"Wren, how do you like your new home?" Meranda asks turning to face him.

"I love it. I have my own room, and it's big," Wren replies in a happy voice.

"Are you sure you feel comfortable here Wren? Do you really want to stay here with Jax and Charlotte? We can move you to another house, please be honest with us," she continues with what looks like a soothing smile but from where I'm sitting I can see her inner bitch showing. Wait, hold on, what the actual fuck? Did she just say what I think she just said? 

"You mean leave Jax and Charlotte?" Wren questions and I can hear the anxiousness plus his tone wobbling as he asks her that. She nods her head and immediately tears start running down his face.

"Charlotte? Am I leaving? I don't want to go! I don't want to go!" he yells turning to look at me. I grab onto his face so he's focusing on me as I shake my head.

"You're not going anywhere Wren. You are staying here with us, I am not sending you away," I tell him, my voice cracking. I feel a hand on my arm and I look at Jax as he gestures to pass Wren to him.