Chapter 3.1 | Wedding

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕

I stare at my reflection, my fingers reaching out to touch the mirror, awed at what I'm seeing. It's simplistic makeup but I've never seen myself like this. And with my hair in a simple bun, some tendrils of hair sticking out but still looks put together; I'm surprised I look this good. When Victoria and Cleo did my makeup and hair this morning they both made me promise I wouldn't look at myself until I was here and I must say they did a fabulous job.

"Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? You look amazed and touch your face, not the mirror?" a teasing voice asks from behind me.

"Cody, if I even thought of touching my face Cleo and Victoria would have my head," I say in a deadpan voice. I fix my dark blue off-the-shoulder bandage dress and add the last pair of earrings to my ear. I didn't want a traditional wedding dress or colour, the trauma after I wore the first one still there.

"But in the chick flicks you and Cleo made me watch, on a women's wedding day she'd go touching her face and then start sobbing," he says dramatically.

"Tough luck, this is reality. And my reality is me touching this," my finger motions to my face. "I won't even make it down the aisle today."

"You're probably right. You do look beautiful, I wish mom and dad could see you today," he says placing a comforting hand on my shoulder as he leans down to kiss my temple. I wish they were here to Cody. "By the way, I have this for you. I waited so I could give this to you on your wedding day." I turn to look at him as he holds a familiar gold locket in front of me.

"Is that mom's?" I ask in a shaky voice as I reach out for it.

"Yeah, they salvaged it from the crash and I got it fixed up plus polished. I was just holding onto it," he answers. I open the locket and see two pictures inside, my mom and dad. I hold it close to me and I have to blink back the tears that are threatening to fall.

"Here, let me put it on," he tells me. He fixes the clasp around my neck and I turn to look back at the mirror as it sits on my neck. Mom, Dad, you're both here with me. Things have been crazy these last five years and now at the age of thirty, I'm marrying the man I fell for, father to my kids, and brother to my adopted kid.

I knew Jax wanted to marry me years ago but I felt it wasn't the right time. The twins were too small, Wren was still going through so much emotionally and once in a while those emotions still flared up.

But now here I am, five years later on a sunny Saturday afternoon at city hall with my family and close friends getting married to the love of my life. It's cheesy but there's no other way to describe it. Jax's proposal surprised me and it was so sweet that thinking about it still makes me want to tear up.

《 Flashback

"Fuck, I'm so tired," I mutter to myself as I drive down my street. Today was the last round of parent-teacher interviews with parents before the school year ends next month. Yesterday I met with half of the parents and today I finished with the rest of the parents. At this point I'm just ready to take a hot shower and throw myself into my bed but that's only a dream of luxury with three rambunctious boys in the house. 

I turn my car into the driveway, parking it behind Jax's as I shut off the engine and grab my bag. I open the door and look at my house but I don't see a single shred of light coming from inside. There's no way they're asleep right now with it being only nine o'clock and it's also Friday night. I walk up to the front door, unlocking it and my eyes just see pitch-black all around.

"Jax, boys. What's going on?" I turn on the entryway light as I close and lock the door behind me, taking off my sandals. I walk to the living room and turn on the lights and find the four of them are standing with confetti poppers in hand.