Chapter 6

"That was a productive day," I announce as Wren and I both collapse on the sofa. We left Jax in the foyer to carry all the bags of clothes and shoes into the house. I lost count of how many stores we visited after the fourth one.

"You're tired Charlotte?" Wren asks me from his spot on the opposite sofa.

"I've never done so much shopping. I feel like a grandma, so old and tired," I say in an exaggerated granny voice. He starts laughing at me and soon I'm joining him. We spent a good six hours shopping since we reached the mall at two. We had to make a couple of trips to the car just to put the bags away because we couldn't carry it all.

"Do you want me to leave these here?" I lift myself to look behind the sofa and see Jax holding surprisingly all the bags in his hands.

"Just leave those there and tomorrow after school  I'll take care of Wren's clothes," I tell him before flopping back on the sofa.

"Am I going back to school tomorrow, Charlotte?" Wren asks me.

"Yes, you are. Tomorrow is Thursday so we'll be back to learning but in school you have to call me Ms. Dawson okay?" I tell him.

"Okay Charlotte," he replies. I glance at the time on the t.v and see it's close to nine o'clock. 

"Alright, time for you to go to bed Wren and Jax can you help him get ready? I left pyjamas for him in the closet," I say to him.

"Do you have spare toothbrushes?" he questions as he picks up Wren and throws him over his shoulder which sparks Wren into laughter.

"You'll find them under the bathroom sink," I answer with a wave of the hand.

"Let's go Wren, you need sleep for your big day tomorrow," Jax tells him and I watch the two of them go upstairs before I get up to walk to my kitchen with the intent of making a homemade lunch for Wren tomorrow.

From the time he joined my class in September, I've only seen Wren eating the packaged lunches you'd find in the supermarket, potato chips, and a bottle of juice. I've never even seen him with water which is why I took the liberty of bringing an extra water bottle every day for him since September. And that's why I want to start something new for him, if he wants he can have the packaged lunches sometimes but other than that I plan everything to be homemade.

"I'll make macaroni and cheese since that cooks fast, that way I can throw myself in bed after," I say to myself. I shed off my jacket and drape it over the island seat so I'm left in my matching set of workout clothes. I tie my hair back into a messy bun and grab a pot to boil the water plus a second pot along with flour, milk, butter, and some cheese.

"What are you doing right now?" I turn to find Jax standing at the kitchen entryway already changed from what he was wearing earlier. The only thing he's wearing right now is a pair of grey sweats and my guess was right about him maybe having more tattoos. The expansion of his chest is covered in tattoos and stops just above his eight pack.

"I'm making some lunch for tomorrow, Wren is already asleep?" I ask, turning off the cold water once the pot is filled. Jax walks over and takes the pot from my hands and places it on the oven turning it on high.

"He was out like a light. Why don't you just give Wren a packaged lunch instead of cooking so late?" he questions. "I used to take that to school growing up."

"That's the thing. I could give Wren a packaged lunch but if I do that it's like I'm replicating his old home life. Ever since Wren became my student, I've only seen him with a packaged lunch, no real home food. Yes, I did see some students of mine bring those lunches but they also brought lunches made by their parents, Wren never brought that," I explain as I take a seat at the island. "I just want to do things differently."