Chapter 22

I shut the kid's bedroom doors quietly behind me. Since Wren and I are staying over tonight, they insisted they bring the spare mattresses in Benjamin's room to have their sleepover. I honestly don't mind but since they have school in the morning, I need them to have a good night's rest to be wide awake for the day.  

If I even hear a peep from them, they're being separated whether they like it or not. I stop at the master bedroom and poke my head through the door. I see Cleo sleeping with baby Alexa in her arms. I walk over to her quietly and slowly take the baby out of her arms to move her to her bassinet. The movement jostles Cleo and she startles awake. 

"Calm down Cleo," I say, placing Alexa down on the bassinet. "You were asleep with her in your arms and I know you wouldn't want to drop her by accident while sleeping," I tell her as I fix Alexa's blanket.

"The last thing I remember is me feeding her and then burping her. I guess both of us are still tired," she says yawning. "Have you heard from Cody yet?"

"No," I replied, shaking my head. "I was going to call him after checking on you two." 

"Call him. I want to know how my other baby is doing," she says as she flops back on the bed. I sit in front of her and dial my brother's number, waiting for him to pick up.

"Hey Char, are you doing alright?" Cody asks when he picks up and I put him on speaker.

"Yeah, we're all good here. I'm with Cleo and we want to know how Chris is doing," I reply as I hand her my phone.

"Hey honey, I miss you two. How's my baby doing?" Cleo questions.

"So the doctors told me that Chris has the flu and that his fever came from that. He wasn't throwing up, but that was the diagnosis they gave me. They want to keep him overnight with an i .v drip," he tells us.

"My poor baby. Is he asleep right now?" Cleo asks.

"As soon as it reached eight, he was out like a light. His body recognizes his bedtime," Cody laughs.

"Okay, give him a kiss for me," Cleo instructs him.

"Will do. Get a good night's rest too, I love you," Cody tells her.

"To the moon back," Cleo replies before handing me back my phone.

"You two are sure good at giving cavities," I tease and they both start laughing.

"You'll be having a moment of your own soon Char," Cleo says with a knowing smile. I roll my eyes as I pay attention to whatever my brother is asking me. 

"Did you bring work home with you?" he questions.

"I did, which I finished while the kids were doing their homework," I reply. "All I have to do now before I sleep is call Jax." 

"Oh, is someone missing her man?" Cleo teases.

"Shut up Cleo, anyways I'll talk to you in the morning Cody," I tell him.

"Alright, and thanks for everything little sis. Love you," he tells me.

"Love you too, night," I say to him before hanging up.

"And now it's time to call your man," Cleo says, wiggling her eyebrows.

"I don't even want to know what you're thinking," I say, rising from the bed. "I'll check on you all later," I tell her as I walk out of the room. I head downstairs to the guest room and belly flop onto the bed. I open the contacts on my phone scrolling down to Jax's number and listen to the phone ring.

"Jax, hey," I say when he picks up the line.

"Hey to you to angel. I didn't think you'd call, figured you'd be tired after looking after your family," Jax tells me.