Chapter 21

"So Wren was okay to go back to class?" Clarissa questions as I dismiss my students at the end of the day. It's Wednesday after school and with it being December already, you can feel winter is coming in.

"We spent the day relaxing but he was eager to come back today. He remembered that we would be making 3D shapes with toothpicks and marshmallows today," I say chuckling, remembering his excitement. 

"It's good that he could forget about what happened," she muses. "Where is he?"

"I left him in the class while he finishes his homework. I asked Irina to watch him since she was in a meeting and her class was dismissed by a supply," I explain. Irina is such a sweet old woman that teaches one of the grade one classes. She reminds me of my mom, giving off a motherly aura.

"Take it easy, you and Wren," she tells me, patting me on the shoulder as she walks back into the school. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you," I reply. I dismiss my last two students after waiting an extra five minutes for their parents and I bound up the stairs back to my class. I'm walking down the hall when I see Wren run out of the classroom, frantically looking around before his eyes land on me. He runs the rest of the way before leaping onto me.

"Wren, what's wrong?" I question in worry. He shakes his head not saying a word. "Is someone in the classroom?" I ask, trying a different approach. Once again he shakes his head, not uttering a single word. I walk to the classroom and immediately notice that Irina isn't in the room.

"Wren, where's Mrs. Thompson?" I ask, crouching down so I'm at eye level with him.

"She left," he whispers.

"Where did she go? She was here in the classroom, wasn't she?" I ask in confusion.

"Mr. Owen came to the classroom and said someone was looking for Mrs. Thompson and he would stay with me," Wren explains. Now it makes sense why Wren is acting strange. 

"Did Mr. Owen say something to you?" I ask him cautiously. If that bastard of a man said something to my child, oh so help me before I go after him. Wren stays still for a couple of seconds before shaking his head. He's biting his lips, and both hands clenched into fists. I take a seat on a chair and take Wren's hands into mine. I uncurl his fists and hold both hands. "Wren, you can tell me anything, I'll always be there for you," I slowly coax.

"Mr. Owen asked why you're taking care of me because we're not family, but he's lying, me, you, and Jax we're family," he shouts, his hands tightening around mine. I can feel my blood boiling under my skin. How dare he say that to him?

"Don't listen to a word that man says," I say, pulling him into my arms. "Wren we are family, that you can never doubt. I promise to be there all the time for you and love you because you're my child, my family." 

"Is Jax in our family too?" he questions quietly.

"Of course, he's your big brother right?" I say, pulling back to wipe the tears on his face.

"Jax, Wren, and mommy. We're a family!" he exclaims with a big smile. My body freezes when I hear the word mom slip out of his mouth.

"Wren, what did you just call me?" I ask in a shaky voice. This time I'm the one with the tears welling up in my eyes. He realizes what he just uttered and I can see he's slowly retreating from his emotions. "No, no. I'm not mad Wren but I do want you to tell me what you just said again."

"I called you mommy Charlotte. Can I call you mommy?" he asks in a quiet voice. I watch as he shifts his body nervously and it's obvious to see that he's expecting me to say no. I pull him into my arms again, resting his head on my shoulder. From the day I took Wren in last month, I never once asked him to call me anything else besides Charlotte. I wanted him to be comfortable to call me whatever he was okay with and if he's okay with calling me his mom, then there's no way I'll say no. Although it'll be a strange development with him calling me mom and I'm in a relationship with his brother.