Chapter 8

"I'll see you tomorrow," I say waving to my last student. It's finally the end of the day, and I feel my stomach turning at the thought of seeing my brother. I called him while I was driving to school this morning and he sounded happy that he gets to see his little sister after two weeks but he doesn't know the news that I'm going to drop on him. I feel a hand resting on my arm and I look down to see Wren waiting for me patiently. 

"Are you ready to go Wren?" I question.

"Yes, Charlotte. I want to go home and play with Jax," he replies clasping my hand in his.

"We're not going home just yet little man, we have somewhere to go to," I tell him as we walk back into the school, down the halls to the front of the school.

"Where are we going?" he questions in curiosity.

"It's a surprise. You'll have to see when we get there but you have to promise me something, Wren. I need you to be on your best behaviour, can you do that?" I want the first meeting between my family and Wren to go perfectly.

"I can do that Charlotte, can I know the surprise now?" he asks eagerly.

"You still have to wait," I chuckle as I open the front door of the school. We haven't even taken a step outside before I hear my name being called. I turn to see Robert running up to us. Damn, this guy does not know how to leave people alone.

"I'm glad I caught up with you before you left," he says once he reaches us.

"Is there something that you need, Mr.Owen?" I ask, my voice coming out frosty.

"I wanted to apologize for lunch and ask if you would like to have dinner together. We can take our time getting to know one another starting off as friends," he tells me. I look at him in disbelief, trying to think if I just heard what I thought I just heard right now. Does this man not know how to read the atmosphere? He's trying to ask me out in front of my adopted kid, my student.

"Mr. Owen, I think this is the wrong time for you to be asking me this," I say glancing at the child that's staring at the two of us in confusion. He finally realizes that I have a student with me and his lips curl into a frown.

"It's after school Wren, should you not be going home? Where is your family? Ms. Dawson has to be going home as well," he says arrogantly. How dare he talk to a student like that? Another reason why I dislike him strongly.

"Charlotte, Wren." I turn to the voice calling our names and thank goodness it's Jax. He's standing with his arms crossed, a scowl on his face. Wren lets go of my hand, running up to him and jumps into his arms. Jax easily lifts him placing him on his hip as Wren wraps his arms around him.

"Well, now that someone is here for Wren, how about we continue our discussion?" Robert says clasping my hand into his. I wretch my hand back and move to stand beside Jax, placing a hand on his arm.

"Mr. Owen, we will not be continuing this discussion. If you will excuse us," I tell him, my voice firm. I tug on Jax's arm so we can start walking away from this insufferable man. His behaviour is not only very unprofessional but he also doesn't have any respect for people.

"Charlotte wait! I don't know what your relationship is with him but are you willing to go with someone like him? He looks like bad news, he even has tattoos on his hands," he questions emphasizing the word him. I stop in my tracks turning to glare at Robert.

"If you go through life with that kind of mentality, I genuinely feel sorry for you Mr. Owen. You asked why I would go with someone like him? Maybe because he doesn't think of himself and actually respects what I have to say. And so what if he has tattoos? I believe that tattoos are a form of art and frankly they work for him. Just because he has them doesn't mean he's bad news," I rant. Yes, Jax and I are still getting to know one another but he hasn't done anything that would make me feel uncomfortable or make me want to call the police on him. "Have a good day Mr. Owen." I turn back to Jax and instead of holding onto his arm again, I grab his hand, dragging him to the teacher's parking lot.