Chapter 28

"Where am I driving to?" I ask Jax. "Does he want us to meet him somewhere?"

"His place, do you remember where it is?" Jax replies.

"Kind of but you'll need to give me directions since I was only there once," I respond. It's silent between the two of us, lost in our thoughts until I hear Jax saying my name when we're at a red light.

"What is it?" I ask looking over at him.

"What did you have to tell me earlier? It must have been important if you didn't want Wren hearing," Jax guesses.

"You got that right. His social worker was waiting for us when we came home earlier to talk with me about something and then also give me in his words an early Christmas present," I answer.  "But before I tell you, promise me you'll stay calm."

"That means I'm not going to like what you're going to say but sure, I promise to stay calm," he tells me.

"Your parents first hearing is the second week of January, the eighth," I say bluntly. There's no reason for me to beat around the bush and drag it out, best to drop it all at once.

"So those fuckers are finally going on trial? Good," he tells me. "They deserve to rot in jail for what they did to Wren."

"I agree, what they did was deplorable," I say agreeing with Jax. "Only the two of us need to be in court when it happens. Wren doesn't need to go in and testify for anything."

"I don't even want Wren near them so the farther they're away, the better. I still can't believe my mom got out on bail," he sighs and I think back to a couple of weeks ago when she showed up at the school without warning to try and take Wren home with her. If the office staff wasn't notified of his situation, I don't know what would have happened.

"Lorenzo just wanted to make our lives just a bit more difficult. It's good we haven't seen her since that day," I muse. "By the way, am I going the right way?" I ask turning down a street.

"Make another right, then left and drive to the house at the end of the street," he answers and I follow his instructions until I'm slowing down the car when I reach the last house in the street. There are some of Lorenzo's men stationed around the house and I wonder if the other neighbours find it suspicious that multiple men are standing out in the freezing night air.

"Stay beside me Charlotte," he instructs as we walk up the driveway.

"I'm following your lead," I say trying to ease his mind. He opens the door and I trail behind him inside. It's just like the last time I came here. If it wasn't for the owner of this property, I'd be in awe.

"There's my favourite man," a sickening voice coos out. I look around Jax and glare when I see who it is.

"What do you need Kerri? I came here for Lorenzo; I don't have time for you," he tells her.

"But I wanted to see you," she pouts, trailing a hand up his arm. He grabs her fingers, lifting them off before pulling me to stand beside him.

"I don't have time to mess around with you, Kerri, so fuck off," Jax growls out as he tugs me down the hall.

"Stop Jax. I also have business with her," she calls out to us. I turn to look at her and as she walks up to us. "I have something to do with your girlfriend, orders from Lorenzo."

"Don't do anything to piss me off Kerri," he snaps at her. "Be careful," he says turning to face me.

"Your angry side is fucking sexy and as much as I love seeing it, I won't piss you off tonight. Now start walking bitch, we don't have much time," she says pushing me forward.