Chapter 43

It's five days before the army sets their plan in motion and tomorrow I'll have some army personnel coming to my house after school to get their machines set and running for this upcoming Friday. The day is so close I can almost taste it. Currently, I'm with Jason watching Oli and Wren play in the snow at a park not too far from my house. 

It snowed Friday night through Saturday and our neighbourhood got around twenty inches of snow, a typical Toronto snowstorm. Wren insisted we go out today and he's the only person I'd go out into the cold for. Originally Cleo's kids were going to come as well, but one of them was down with the flu so she decided they'd skip out today.

"Have you met with Rhett and his army friends?" I ask Jason as I take a sip of coffee.

"Yeah, after work on Friday before the storm. The amount of work they got done in the last couple of days is amazing," Jason replies. "I don't think they got any sleep."

"They don't have much time and he's a wanted criminal, they don't have a choice with how fast they work," I tell him. "Has Kerri asked where you've been going the past couple of days?" I ask looking at him.

"No, but that doesn't mean she's ignorant over the fact I'm still speaking with you. I think for her it doesn't matter if I'm in contact with you so long as you don't tell me what she's been doing or I don't interfere with her work. I haven't brought up the fact she's in the mafia, so she thinks she's still in the clear; well jokes on her," he chuckles darkly.

"I can't wait to see her reaction when she's arrested. You know I never mentioned it to you because I forgot but the first day we ran into her for Wren's appointment she kissed Jax. It was revolting," I say fake shuddering in disgust.

"If she could easily go up to her ex and kiss him, what's to say she hasn't cheated on me while being married to me now," he tells me shrugging his shoulders. "Knowing what I know now she's probably doing it now."

"You know after all this is done, we'll find you a nice girl. Cleo and I will set you up with someone amazing," I say patting his leg.

"No thanks, I'll be taking a break on relationships. I'll concentrate my time more on Oli. Even though I try to be with him as much as I can, I want to spend more time and have him open up to me more," he says focusing back on the boys building a snowman. "I'm even thinking of enrolling him into your elementary for next year."

"Really? I think that's great for him. Seeing a familiar face even though they won't be in the same grade will be great for him," I say in excitement.

"And there's also a fact you'll be busy with your maybe twins in the next couple of months," he chuckles as my mouth drops in surprise.

"What? No! Did you hear about our bet? Jason, you're my best friend, you have to be on my side," I whine hitting his arm.

"I'm siding with your brother and boyfriend Charlie, sorry," he chuckles at my swatting my hands.

"What happened to bros before hoes?" I ask looking at him indignantly.

"Jax and your brother are the hoes?" he asks in amusement.

"Yeah, and so are you," I say sticking my tongue out at him before falling into laughter. "You know I've really missed this. It's good to have you back Jason," I say leaning against him

"It's good to be back, Charlie," he says in a quiet voice.

"So what else did you hear from Rhett?" I question.

"He told me how you two talked at three in the morning about the teacher you thought might be working with Lorenzo. Turns out your hunch was right," he reveals.