Chapter 16

It's Friday after school, a day after Kerri's threat to Jax and myself. Since I promised Wren an evening filled with ice cream yesterday, I'm keeping my promise today and it'll serve as an opportunity to catch-up with Cleo.

"Are you ready to go Wren?" I ask as I wrap a scarf around my neck. I watch as he puts on his sneakers before standing up at his full height.

"I'm all ready to go!" he exclaims.

"Are you sure you don't want to meet with us later?" I ask Jax. 

"I'm sure. Since I'm meeting with Lorenzo it'll probably take some time but it's better I deal with it now and tell him to leave us alone instead of later," he tells me. My eyebrows furrow in worry at his decision. I step up to him, placing my hand on his arm, my forehead resting on his chest. I can smell his musky scent and feel his intense body heat. 

"Jax, be careful," I whisper. I've known him for only a month, but I still don't wish for anything to happen to him. His hand moves to rest on my head, smoothing down my hair and my fingers curl into his shirt as he presses me closer.

"Do you honestly think they can take me down Charlotte? I'll come back, to the both of you," he says before pressing his lips on my hair. I move my head back to look at him, a small smirk on my lips.

"Make sure you keep that promise," I reply and I feel a hand tugging on my jacket and turn to find Wren standing with an impatient face, tapping his foot on the ground. I can't help the small chuckle I let out at his adorable actions.

"Yes, Wren we're going so say bye to your brother," I tell him as I put on my boots. He gives him a quick hug before rushing to open the front door stepping on the porch. "Jax, here, this is for you. Make sure to lock up when you leave," I instruct as I place a duplicate house key in his hands. He was borrowing my emergency key and I decided I should just make his own copy.

"One thing I have to ask before you go, what's your phone number?" he questions as he pockets the key.

"Lucky for you I'm one step ahead of you. I left it on a piece of paper on the kitchen counter," I smirk. "I had a feeling you'd get a phone at some point." He shakes his head chuckling as he walks me to the door.

"You be careful alright?" he tells me and it's obvious he is concerned with us two going out without him but since we're still going to be in public I don't think we have to worry so much.

"I promise we'll be fine and I'll call you in case something happens," I say to him with a wave of the hand as Wren pulls me out  to the car. I open the back door for him before moving to the driver's seat. I honk my horn once in goodbye before backing out of the driveway.

"Are you excited to see Cleo and the boys Wren?" I ask as I drive down the street.

"Yes and I'm going to eat so much ice cream today," he happily tells me.

"Not too much or else you'll get sick," I chuckle. While the boys happily stuff their faces with their desserts, I'll have the chance to vent my worries to Cleo. Since today is Friday we can take the time to talk, not about everything about Jax's past but enough to air my concerns. I turn into the small dessert cafe Cleo found and see their family van already in the parking lot. "We're here Wren," I tell him as I park the car.

"Let's go Charlotte!" he exclaims as he takes off his seatbelt.

"Give me a second to open your door Wren," I tell him as I exit the car. No doubt if the car didn't have a child lock, this kid would jump out and would be running across the parking lot. Before I can even remind Wren to take my hand, he's already grabbing onto mine. I look down at him and as always when this child smiles my heart can't help but melt at the toothy smile. We quickly cross the parking lot, and I see Cleo waving to us from the back of the cafe.