➶ chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

•Monday October 4th•

First day of Riverdale high school.

....and I am already late; way to go me on being an exemplary student.  It technically was not my fault that I am late, because my mother decided it would be a smart idea to not wake me up knowing that I am not a morning person and that I am a complete and utter night owl. 

I walked into the school and basically had no idea where I was going. I attempted to find the principal's office when I was stopped in my tracks by somebody bumping into me.  I looked up and saw the sweet and innocent looking blonde girl from the diner the other night.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention" I said to her trying to pick up my school schedule that had fallen out of my hands.  "While I have you here though, would you mind showing me where my locker is?" I asked her 

The girl nodded her head and take the paper from me. She smiled and said, "your locker is right across from mine.  So what brings you to Riverdale High?"

"My mother moved us back here after going through a bit of a rough patch, but then again what family doesn't have demons in their past"

"Well I'm Betty Cooper"

"Madison Montgomery" I said with a sweet smile towards her

"Wait a second Montgomery....is your family related to Charles Montgomery?  One of the founding families of Riverdale"

I just shrugged my shoulders at Betty.  "I know that my mother's maiden name is Wilkens and she is a part of one of the founding families"

"That is beyond exciting" she exclaimed dragging me over to a large glass case in the center of the hallway, "the Coopers, the Blossoms, and the Montgomery's were the first three people to make settlement on this land, and on the south side of town the Topaz's and the Wilkens' were the first to build land"

"You really believe in all of that territorial nonsense?" I sarcastically asked her

"It's the stories we all grew up hearing.  Whether we believe it or not; it's what the town believes"

"It's called the white washing of history." Betty Cooper gave me a confused look.  I guess I needed to explain a little further than just that one sentence.  "It's like a game of telephone people hear things for generations and it gets slightly changed each time the story is told.  Few know the real truth and it dies along with the ancestors that created the story"

Betty still looked confused, so I figured we would drop the conversation there. I put my small backpack on as Betty generously offered to take me to my first class, so that I would not get lost.  She insisted that I come to lunch with her later on and I agreed for the sole purpose that I did not plan on eating alone.