➶chapter twenty-three

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

We were quickly running out of time. And maybe, so was Riverdale. Hiram Lodge had been making moves.
Big moves. But with no proof of criminal behavior, all I could do was speculate. What was Hiram's master plan for Riverdale? And why did it feel so close to fruition?

[]

•Two months later•
•Saturday January 15th•

Campaigning was about to begin with any and all Mayoral candidates. They would be giving a speech declaring their run for Mayor in front of everyone in town. My mother and I have been working on her address within that whole two months since she told me she wanted to run for mayor.

I had to go to Jughead's trailer in order to get his input on the address. I was the best writer my mother knew and Jughead was the best writer I knew. I would go over to his trailer nearly every night to try and get all over this to make a simple speech sound absolutely perfect.

Jughead was staring at the paper with the semi-final draft I had written. "This is really good!" he exclaimed

"Jug, I'm scared" I sighed slouching myself onto his couch. "The Lodge's fight dirty. I never wanted my mother to be in the crossfire of it"

"Your mom is one tough lady! She agreed to let you wear the serpent jacket and she knows your dating Sweet Pea"

As if by reflex I punched Jughead on his arm. "I'm not dating Sweet Pea! He hasn't asked me and I haven't asked him"

"Whatever Montgomery" he rolled his eyes

As Jughead was making what could be the last tweaks of this address before tomorrow morning someone started knocking on Jughead's trailer door. He opened the door exposing Archie who let himself inside. Without a simple 'hello' or 'how was your holiday' Archie just went straight into zone mode. "Are you guys still going after Hiram Lodge?" he asked

"Well, that depends. Who's asking? You?" Jughead asked

I cut in asking, "Veronica? Or the fiend himself?"

"Mr. Lodge is asking my dad to run for mayor with Lodge Industries. I don't want him getting in any deeper with them"

"So tell him he shouldn't run" I scoffed giving Archie the most basic and simple answer I could think of off the top of my head.

"Veronica would kill me if I did!" Archie exclaimed. I muttered a simple word 'whipped' under my breath just loud enough for him to hear me. He then continued by saying, "And ditto the Lodges. Maybe I could give you both something. Maybe you guys could write about it and maybe make my dad hit pause"

Jughead and I exchanged looks with one another. We had never collaborated on a writing piece before. This was going to be interesting to say the least. We both nodded at one another and then faced Archie saying "Okay"