➶ chapter thirty-five

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

The Angel of Death had once more come to Riverdale. Midge Klump's gruesome murder had gutted the entire town. And in grief, brought us all together.

[]

•Friday March 25th•

Everyone was brought back to Pop's and needed to wait for the Sheriff to have their parent bring them down to the police station.  Almost everyone that was involved with the play was taking up booths.  They were all in tears and so was anyone who ever knew Midge Klump. Sweet Pea, Toni, Fangs, and I were all in a booth.  Betty, Archie, Veronica, and Cheryl were in the booth.  So far Jughead, Ethel, and Moose had gone to the police station and none of them have come back yet.

"What do you think Jones is going to say?" Sweet Pea asked sounding concerned for a serpent talking to the police. However, Jughead was not a normal serpent. Sweet Pea had little to no faith in Sheriff Keller, but Jughead still had a little bit.  "I mean him and Moose over there, do we really need to guess who the sheriff will believe."

Before any of us could respond the bell on top of Pop's door rung.  Everyone in Pop's shot up to see who walked in. It was my mother.

"Mom!" I exclaimed engulfing her into a hug

"Madison, thank God, FP called saying Jughead was at the police station and I called Fred Andrews, who said all you kids were here at Pop's"

"It was awful....we all saw her there, she was dead" I whimpered into my mother's arms.

"The service is tomorrow. I helped Mrs. Klump with some of the money, because she was set on burying Midge quickly, so that she could be at peace"

My mother and I talked for a few minutes longer and she took a seat with all of the adults on the other side of the diner.  All the kids were sitting together. Eventually Jughead walked into the diner and was quickly embraced by Betty. He took a seat with Betty, Archie, and Veronica in a booth. They were all talking and somewhat whisper arguing with one another.  Jughead was definitely sharing his theories with his lovely group about the murder of Midge.

It was almost one o'clock in the morning and I was exhausted. I wanted to be awake early to make it to Midge's funeral at a reasonable hour. I asked Sweet Pea to stay at my house for the night and I knew that my mother would not have a problem with it, because I was not going to be telling her about it. 

[]

Sweet Pea walked me to my house and he hung up his serpent jacket leaving him just in a black t-shirt and his signature black jeans.  I made us both some food, because no one was really eating at Pop's after losing all sense of an appetite, because after seeing a dead body you really just do not feel like eating.