➶ chapter eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

•Sunday November 14th•

The next morning, I woke up on top of Toni who was still dead asleep. There was someone banging on her trailer door. I was here, Toni was here, and her mom was here too. No one knew we were even in here.

I nudged Toni to wake her up gently. She heard the knocking also and still with her eyes closed she went and opened the front door.

An expression of pure shock and confusion appeared on my face when I saw Sheriff Keller walk into the room from outside the trailer.

"Toni" he said greeting her. He looked over and saw me standing there. "Madison, good to see you both again"

"Can we help you with something Sheriff?" I asked

The Sheriff nodded. "Is your mother home?"

"She's asleep, but anything you need to say I don't need her around to hear it"

"Alright well.....last night some chopped off General Pickens head in Pickens Park and—"

Toni cut him off by actually putting her hand up and shushing Sheriff Keller. Damn! My cousin was the best. She had absolutely no fear. "....and of course you think it was a Serpent. Let me ask you this Sheriff, did you even bother asking any Northsiders what they were doing last night?" Toni asked

"You should ask Hiram Lodge what he thinks happened. We all know he'll blame the Serpents, but I wouldn't be surprised if that bastard was hoarding the head away" I said in anger making Sheriff Keller feel uneasy

"Well....I'm just going to show myself out. You girls have a good day"

Sheriff Keller left the trailer. I watched out the window, because I knew he was going to start knocking on other trailers in Sunnyside Trailer Park. That much was obvious. I saw him enter another trailer and in that exact moment Toni and I sprinted out of her trailer and headed straight for Pickens Park. We sprinted as fast as we could until we found the beloved General Pickens statue without its head. There was paint around the neck area to symbolize blood. Whoever cut off the head had some shaky hands because of how badly the head was cut off. And the paint application was amateur at best.

However, this was no time for criticism. I took a few pictures of the decapitated statue.

Suddenly my phone started ringing. It was jughead.

"Hey Jug, did Sheriff Keller talk to you?" I immediately asked him

"Yeah. Are you with Toni?"

"Yeah, we're in Pickens Park. We wanted to see the statue"

"Get to the Whyte Wyrm now! We have big trouble on our hands and Toni is not going to like it"

[]