No Winners.

Michael

Michael

I felt my heart sinking into the pit of my stomach as anxiety consumed my entire body. I held tears back as I made my way back into the crowded parking lot. How could she kiss him? I mean, I know me trying to have sex with Brooke wasn't right but at least I stopped. And my mind was on Lilly the whole time. But in that moment, I saw Lilly give him the same look she gives me. The look of interest and admiration. I felt my body tense up and I reimagined the way she smiled up at him after they kissed. Her mind was only on him as Prince played in the background.

The irony.

Lilly often kept in touch Prince but she knew I didn't like him. Especially after that night at the cafe a couple years ago. So she kept her friendship with him away from my knowledge.

I got to my car and stood there. I leaned against it and looked up into the night sky, illuminated with rain clouds. I closed my eyes as I felt a couple drops on my face. The people that were lallygagging in the lot started to flee out of the rain into cars, trucks, and limos. My feet stood glued onto the lot pavement as I couldn't find the energy to move. Hard rain started to hit me wetting my clothes and my hair. I allowed my tears to finally fall as I knew the rain would mask my emotions.

"Michael." I heard a soft voice and the pitter-patter of light feet walking against the puddles inching closer to me.

I looked ahead of me as Lilly stood directly in front of me.

"Michael..." she spoke softer this time. I watched the rain take over her dry curls and dampen her silk green dress.

"I'm sorry... I've just been so confused lately. It seems like you don't want me but then you make it obvious that you do want me so I don't know how to feel or what to do." She looked at me through the rain with pleading eyes.

It wasn't just a kiss. I'd known Lilly for most of my life. I knew when she had real feelings. And she does have real feelings for John. I keep dragging her along and hurting her. I don't deserve her. I just want her to be happy, even if it's not with me.

"Michael." She looked at me puzzled as I had not yet responded. We both were soaking wet by the rain by now. I had to bring this drama to an end once and for all.

I grabbed her cheeks and pulled her into a deep, passionate kiss. I felt her tense up as the rain drops fall against my hair. I softly caressed her lips with mine. I slowly pulled away and looked deep into her eyes.

"I'm so sorry for hurting you so much Lilly. You'll always be the lady in my life." I whispered sweetly to her. I pecked her soft lips once more before getting into my car and driving away, leaving her standing there in the rain. This would be the last time I break her precious heart.

• • • •

Lilly

It's been a few weeks since that night and I have to admit, my heart was completely broken. Id felt like Michael had broken up with me and we weren't even a couple. Why does my relationship with him have to be so complicated?

Every time I'd tried to call, Michael wasn't there. I'd even tried to go by his house to see him and he wasn't home. Mama K. expressed to me how concerned she was about Michael being gone so much. She said he never even said bye or told anyone where he was going.

I'd decided to spend a few days at the Jackson home to hang with the family and see if I could catch Michael. I'd been here for 3 days and still no sign of him. He's lost his damn mind doing this.

It's now 2am. Janet and I had spent all night eating junk and watching reruns of Good Times, laughing our asses off. I'd gotten up to pee and was making my way, through the dark halls, back into the cozy living room. I hear the door knob slowly turning so I stopped in my tracks and stared at it slowly creak open.

And in comes Micheal, trying to be as quiet as a mouse until he spots me standing in the living room doorway.

"L-Lilly?" He whispered as he adjusted his eyes to the darkness.

"Michael. It's almost 3am. Where the hell have you been?" I whisper yelled at him.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me up the stairs into his room.

"Michael. Your mom has been worried about you. I've been worried about you. Where have you been disappearing off to?" I crossed my arms and frowned at him.

He let out a long sigh as he shut his room door. "I-I've been doing business."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at his attempt to lie to me.

"Can you tell me the truth? It's the least you could do."

He glared at me and rolled his eyes. "I've been at Diana's."

"Diana's?" I felt my heart drop to my feet as I felt the feeling of hurt I'd once felt before.

"Yeah... I-I'm in love with her. I'm gonna marry her and we're gonna start a family." He continued while he packed a suit case.

Hearing him say all of this was overwhelming. I felt my hands start to sweat and anger shoot through my body.

"You really think she's gonna marry you?" I raised an eyebrow as he stopped packing and turned around to look at me.

"Yes. We're in love. I know it hurts you to hear this but I don't want you to find out later through someone else."

In love?

I laughed sarcastically at his naiveness.

"Michael. Open your eyes. I know you're probably pussy whipped right now, but she's not in love with you and she's not gonna marry you. Diana Ross gets around. I'm not sayin she's a hoe, but that woman has been with more wieners than ketchup."

He shot a death look at me. "Watch. Your mouth."

I looked at him in disbelief.

"Michael... you're being so stupid right now."

"You're just jealous. You should've just said yes when I proposed to you the first time. Now you can see me marry someone else and have a family with someone else."

Anger filled my soul as I realized I didn't even know who was he anymore.

"Fine. You know what? When she breaks your stupid little heart, don't come crying to me about it!" I stormed out of his room and went back into the darkened living room. I laid on the couch and quietly sniffled as I watched Michael stop in front of the door, stare at my silhouette for a moment, then leave back out with his new bag of clothes.

Nothing good is going to come out of this. I can feel it.

________________________

Vote
Comment
Share
❤️