BYE EX, HELLO STRANGER!

I was itching to get my ass out of the seat and go home to a warm bath, but I couldn't sneak out even if I wanted to. My sitting position wasn't exactly discreet, you see I was seated in the front row. I uncrossed my legs as they grew numb and watched as models after models took the runway. Jotting down descriptions in my notepad as multi layered ensemble were showcased, I smiled for the first time when a pink monochrome suit caught my fancy.

As a celebrity stylist, I attended fashion shows especially during fashion weeks to select  grand outfits as well as outrageous designs for my clients. This show in particular was boring me out of my goddamn mind. Out of the almost fifty designs showcased, only two looked promising. I could damn the consequences and make my escape despite the eyes I knew would follow my movement across the room. My conscience got the better of me as I considered the designer's feelings and decided to stay put until the very end of the show. For some reason, the young designer cared very much about my opinions on her designs so I decided to be her soft landing since I knew the blogs and magazines were going to tear her into shreds in tomorrow's news.

The show came to an end after thirty more torturous minutes and I took a cab to the after party. Those were usually not an issue since I got to meet new people and sometimes even new clients. I mingled with some female models as we drank and partied. There was an overflow of liquor and I overindulged, I wasn't one to turn down free booze. Never. As I took a long swallow of my drink, I heard a couple of people cheering behind me. Turning my head to the entrance where the noise was coming from, a couple walked in. 

I watched in mock amusement as several people tried to take selfies with them before their bodyguards broke them away from overzealous fans. I was still watching as they walked towards me, the crowd parting almost involuntarily as they walked through. They must have spotted me easily amongst the crowd I surmised bitterly. The room was filled with people but not so many as to make it stuffy or overcrowded. Even the blazing lights hanging overhead didn't make it easy to blend in or go unnoticed. I mentally prepared for the fake conversation I knew was to come.

"Hello, Jade. It's so nice to see you here." 

They exchanged air kisses like they've been best of friends. 

She looked at the man beside her who was my ex-husband and asked, "Kola, didn't I tell you she would be here?"

Cynthia was Kola's wife and she looked impressive in a pair of white wide-legged pants and black body suit. Her hair was pulled up into a slick ponytail that highlighted her high cheekbones and rosy pouty lips. I unconsciously touched the mass of wild hair falling over my face and if I knew there was even the slightest possibility of running into the couple, I would have put more effort into my outfit so I didn't end up with the purple skirt suit presently on my back. 

"Yes, you did," Kola replied in that raspy voice of his that could peel off the panties of any breathing female he encountered.He was wearing well-tailored, tan suit that complemented his brown complexion. They looked like power couples standing next to each other.

Not for a moment did I let my guard down as he smiled at me. I remembered how I met Kola in my final year in the university and we'd immediately became inseparable. After graduation, he'd gotten a deal from a popular record label and it had been the biggest deal of the year. So big a deal that I had to throw a hasty party with few friends and family members in attendance. When the big question was popped at the beginning of the party, I'd been thrilled to say 'yes' to the request of starting a journey with someone I already considered my life partner. He was now married to his latest play thing. Girls were games to him as I recalled him imply during our fight. As much as it shamed me to admit to it, he'd played me also. Like a fucking tambourin.