BACK OFF.

I walked with Chike towards the track. "What?" I asked when we were far away from the class.

"You were going to let him keep touching you like that?" Chike asked rudely.

"And how was he touching me?" I wasn't breathing steadily because of the exercise, and I was getting angrier by the minute which meant I could faint if I didn't calm down and regulate my breathing.

"Like that."

"He was doing his job, and that wasn't even remotely sexual. Are you going to fight off every guy that gets close to me?" I was trying to breathe steadily, but Chike's attitude was pissing me off.

"If I have to," he replied with so much gusto.

"Whatever this is, it's not cute and I'm not going to encourage it in anyway. I'm no man's property and I don't need you to protect me," I retorted sharply.

His forehead wrinkled at my reaction. "Maybe I overreacted."

"I don't like this overtly jealous vibe I'm getting from you. First, you spilled drink on a prospective client which made me miss a major opportunity, and now I can't exercise without you hovering."

Chike looked at me intensely for a while before replying, "It's not jealously, I just didn't like him touching you."

"I'm the older one here so when I say I can handle myself, I mean it. It's what I've been doing since I was sixteen and I've done a great job as far as I can tell."

"You didn't have to pull the age card. I'll back off," Chike said humbly.

"Please do," I insisted.

"Do you want to go back there? I need to get to the court," Chike asked, glancing at the dance group.

"I'll go with you and watch."

Nothing could make me resume the dance class even if it was a chance to rub it in Chike's face. We walked towards the court and I found an empty seat to watch Chike shoot ball into hoops while I replied my mails in between glances. Several girls had joined the spectators and they were screaming as the guys dribbled each other. It was a sight to behold of actually, heavily toned men playing basketball topless with sweat dripping down their body as they dissed one another. Chike blew me a kiss when he got a clean shot and I saw several girls turn back to look at me. That's right, this one is taken, ladies. Not really, I corrected myself and cringed.

As we walked to the car after the game ended, I brought up the topic that had been on my mind all morning.

"Why did you lie about wearing hats in your videos on YouTube?"

"You checked my channel?" Chike asked, looking surprised.

"I did. Why did you lie?"

"Because I didn't want the deal."

"You should have just said so then."

"I did in so many words, but you told me to take the meeting for your sake and I did."

"I put so much energy into getting you that meeting."

"And I appreciate it but I've got this. It's my career and I know what's best for me."

"I did it to return the favor, you got me a phone," I further explained.

"And I can get you another one. I was kidding about spending my life savings, for real."

"Alright. You're the one always giving, I was trying to do something nice for you," I said.

"If I need any help, you'll be the first to know. I promise." Chike smiled and pulled me in for a kiss.