WHY DID YOU LIE?

Lesson one, never walk off in annoyance in a house you weren't familiar with. I learnt hard when I ended up in a different room and didn't know how to find my way back. The house was unbelievably huge, I felt like I was in a maze. My bag wasn't with me so I couldn't text Chike. When I walked back and forth without knowing where to go, I quitted and sat in a small room.

It didn't look like a living room. There was no TV anywhere in sight and it had a red, Victorian style upholstery and another single, long sofa. I sat on the long sofa and noticed a bottle of abandoned cognac on the ottoman. I looked at it for several minutes before ignoring it.

Lesson two, never get drunk in a foreign place. I wasn't thinking when I ended up in the room but I was thinking now about the alcohol, I couldn't drink it. When I waited for quite some time and no one came to get me, I laid on the couch and placed a pillow behind my head. I closed my eyes to calm myself and slept off.

"Babe," I heard Chike say as I woke up. He was crouched beside me, shaking me lightly.

"I'm not your babe. Don't touch me." I shrugged his hand off my body.

I sat straight and frowned as he rubbed his face.

"I'm sorry, genuinely," Chike said, "I don't like being here, it makes me act out."

"That wasn't why I was angry."

"I'm also sorry for being a pain in the ass and I apologize for all the mean things I've said to you. I don't want you to be less than yourself when I'm around."

"Okay, don't do it again."

"Dinner is ready, do you need to freshen up?"

"Yea."

"You can use my bathroom."

When Chike took my hand, I curled my fingers around his as we left to the other wing.

"This is your wing, like the whole wing is for you?" I asked.

"Yea."

"Wow."

His wing was in bronze and white, and I wasn't surprised when I entered his bathroom and saw bronze faucets. I washed my face and tidied my hair before joining Chike in the master's bedroom.

"I can't believe you once said you wanted my life," I said when I sat on his bed.

"You worked for your wealth." He was in a sofa beside the bed.

"Does it really matter in the long run? If you have a good foundation, why not take advantage of the opportunity?"

"I don't want handouts."

"They're your parents not some stranger."

"Alright. Come here," Chike said and I joined him on the sofa. I wrapped my arms around him when he hugged me. "I don't like fighting with you. You're the only constant in my life right now and I don't want that to change."

My heart hammered in my chest as he talked. I tried not to over think his statement. "I'm sorry for hitting you."

"It's okay. We need to join my mom downstairs." He pulled away from me.

"Where's your dad?"

"He's off with his friends doing some activities rich people do. We won't be seeing him today."

"Okay, let's join your mom."

We went downstairs and Chike took me to the dining room. The dining table was a red cherry finish that had artistic carvings at the edges. The chairs matched the oval table, and I saw a glass cabinet holding silverware cutlery and plates. The dining table was filled with several courses of meal. I was almost certain we weren't the only ones coming for dinner. Maybe, there was a party.