WATCH IT.

We were both hurrying to get dressed, Dave was in my hotel room trying to press his tuxedo.

"We're going to be so fucking late. I hate this," Dave rambled.

He didn't work well under pressure, so I kept quiet and did my makeup as he spoke. We styled three clients that evening, the best part was that they weren't impromptu, we knew we had three clients to style on the same night as the Sapphire Ball so we already picked our personal outfits weeks ago.

The problem began when a client showed up late, disrupting our entire schedule. Emergencies came with the job and I knew we were going to have to dress later than planned, that didn't really deter me. It was when the delivery for my client's jewelry arrived late, I knew we were likely to miss the ball. The fault fell squarely on my shoulders because I'd ordered for the gems.

Fortunately, we managed to pull through and did everything last minute. I sent my client on her happy way several minutes ago. It was time to face ourselves and we were doing a poor job. I knew Dave was close to tears, the pressure was too much.

We didn't want to miss the ball, it was a great chance to network and get new clientele. We also didn't want to go in less than perfect.

"Give me that." I took the garment steamer from Dave and worked on his outfit.

"Thanks," he said when I finished.

"Get a bottle of coke in the mini fridge. You need something to calm your nerves."

"I'm fine now that the tux looks crisp."

I went back to the mirror and added gloss to my lips.

"Where's my dress?" I looked around for the black bag holding the garment.

"It's over there." Dave pointed.

I opened the bag and pulled out a black dress. I removed my dressing gown not minding that Dave was present in the room, I wasn't keen on modesty around him. I checked my backside in the mirror after zipping up the dress to make sure panty lines weren't showing. I was wearing a seamless underwear but I couldn't take chances.

"I'm ready," I said to Dave as I got my clutch.

"Give me a minute."

I watched Dave spray on perfume and adjust his tie. We were both dressed simple. My gown was a long, A-line dress, with one lengthy, slit sleeve that was the same length as the dress and my other arm was bare. Dave looked dapper in his black tux and I knew we were going to have fun at the ball, although it was looking like we would get there late.

"Do you have enough business cards in your purse?" Dave asked before I locked the hotel door.

"Yes, you?"

"More than a hundred."

"Don't go sharing it to everyone, we'll look desperate."

"I'm too smooth to do that." Dave got a text on his phone. "The car is waiting downstairs," he read, looking up.

"Let's go. I told you to drink the coke in the fridge," I said once we got inside the elevator and I saw him brushing non-existent lint from his jacket's lapels.

"I'll be fine. Aren't you nervous? Being in a room with so many influential people. I heard Trey Brown is going to be there also."

Trey Brown was a Fuji Musician, and he was the only person Dave listened to which I found really weird.

"Don't tell me, I don't want to be nervous."

We got into the car waiting outside the hotel and I adjusted well into the seat so as to avoid my extremely long sleeve from getting caught by the door.