MY POOR BABY.

Dancing with Chike at the ball was one of the few times I relished in not being popular. When he took me to the gleaming dance floor and pulled me to his chest, no one cared that I took several seconds before pulling back. And when his hand cupped my buttocks, no one noticed that I grounded against him.

"Stop doing that," Chike purred into my ear.

"Likewise," I replied. "You look magnificent," I said, trying to hold my hand still so they didn't wander across his chest on their own accord.

"Thank you. I think this is the first time you've openly complimented me or my clothing," Chike said as we moved along to the musician's melody.

"A simple 'thank you' would have sufficed. I didn't know you owned a tux."

"I didn't know either. I love your dress by the way."

"Thanks."

"I just can't wait to rip it off."

"Stop," I whispered as my mind went straight to the gutters.

"Are you going home tonight?"

"No. I'm staying at a hotel."

"Can I come see you when this ends?"

"You can. I'll send you the hotel name and my room number."

Chike spun me around and I giggled as my hand grabbed his arm to keep from tripping.

"I'll be expecting it. Let's go meet some rich folks," he said as the song ended.

I left the dance floor with Chike and he started off by introducing me to a couple that I later found out owned a large tech company. I smiled politely as they chatted with Chike and I answered the few questions thrown at me.

"They're filthy rich," Chike said when we left their side.

"How do you know them?" I was obviously surprised.

"I worked for them. Allow me to introduce you to the Obis'."

Chike moved on to another couple before I could further question him.

"Young man, it's been years," The person who looked like the patriarch of the family said to Chike when we got to their side.

A woman closed to his age was by his side, she looked like his wife and beside her were two other young teenage boys who resembled the man.

"Yes, sir. I've been busy," Chike said, bowing slightly as he shook the man's hand.

"Who's this gorgeous lady?" his beaming wife asked before we were introduced.

"Jade, she's a friend."

"What do you do, my dear?" The woman asked, eyeing my outfit.

I could tell she was mentally appraising me. "I'm a celebrity stylist," I answered.

My answer seemed to please her because she nodded. I spoke with her for few minutes, complimenting her dress and talking about the latest fashion before Chike spotted someone else and dragged me along with him.

"Slow down. We're moving so fast I'm not sure I'm making an impression."

Chike paused. "Don't you want to meet the governor?"

"How do you know the governor?"

"I used to work for him."

Same answer as the last two. Chike must have worked for everyone in the room, I was intrigued. "What exactly did you do for them?"