SICK.

I dropped the file Ben gave me into my bag before leaving the office that evening. I called Dave when I got into my car, he still wasn't picking. I was going to have to pay him a visit. I drove out of the car pack and realized few miles away from the office that I didn't know his home address. I packed in a fueling station and called Lola to ask for Dave's address. I waited for her message and tried not to be embarrassed.

Dave had worked for me for over five years and I didn't know his address, I felt terrible. He knew everything there was to know about me and I didn't even know his address. I was his boss, it shouldn't be a big deal but we were close. Too close for me not to be embarrassed about not knowing where he lived.

I got a text from Lola and read Dave's address out loud, it was close to the office. I made a U-turn and drove to the address. I was distracted as I drove that I had to find my way twice when I got lost. I finally found the address and checked my phone to see if Lola added his room number, she did. He was staying in an apartment complex and I took the stairs to get to his apartment. I looked for a 502B door and knocked when I found it.

Dave's face broke into a huge grin when he opened the door and saw me standing at his doorstep. I gave him a hug.

"How are you?" I asked when the hug ended.

"Sick, come in."

I went in and looked around the living room. Dave had two, green, single sofas and a large, purple sofa. The whole space was so colorful; parsley patterned rug, tinted, glass table, and pink, plant vase. I was surprised the TV and speakers were in black.

"Great place," I said.

"Thanks, have a seat."

I sat in one of the green chairs and crossed my legs, Dave sneezed behind me before seating on the couch.

"Have you been to the hospital?" I asked when he sneezed again.

"Yes, I got some drugs. It's just a little cold, I'll be back at the office soon."

"There's no hurry."

"How's going? Did you see Ben Jonathan?"

"Yes, we got Kerry and another guy from the same label as hers."

"Whoa! That's freaking huge."

"It is." I smiled.

Dave didn't have to know about the deal I was going to make. He'd find out eventually so there was no need telling him now. Dave got me a bottle of water and I took a sip.

"Where is Phillip?" I asked looking around.

"He's not around, work things."

"So you're all by yourself?"

"Yes."

"Oh. I dropped by to see how you're doing. Why weren't you answering your call?"

"I can't find my phone. It'll be buried under my sheet or pillow."

We sat in awkward silence for few minutes. We were in a different space that wasn't the office so I felt weird, I didn't know whether to be a boss or a friend.

"I need to leave. Use your drugs and get strong," I said when I didn't know what exactly to do.

"Alright, mama."

I stood and dropped a peck on Dave's cheek. He followed me to the door and hugged me.

"Thanks for coming to check on me," he said.

"You're welcome. Find your phone because I'll be calling you later."

"Alright."

I walked away and heard the door shut behind me. I went back to my car and drove home. When I got home, I laid in bed thinking of how to end the fling with Chike. I could tell him after sex. I had to be in his house so I could leave easily. I could also stop replying to his messages and block him. He would understand that I was no longer interested if I blocked his number on my phone.