FIRE HIM!

When Friday night came, Dave's plan was to make me look as impressive as possible and I got ready at the beauty room in the office. I allowed him work his magic on my face since he could pass for a professional makeup artist. This meeting was really important because I've had my eye on this celebrity for awhile and securing her through the manager was my only strategy. If everything went accordingly, getting to be on her team would be good for business. 

I slid into the off-shoulder dress Dave picked out for me and paired it with high heels. I was using a toothbrush to style my baby hairs when the call from Chike came in.

"Hey," I answered.

"Hey, back. Can I see you tonight?"

"Not tonight. I have something planned." I placed the phone in between my shoulder and ear to get more gel from its tube.

"Are you still upset?"

"Not anymore. I'm busy, that's all." I dropped the toothbrush and held the phone to my ear.

"Let me know when you're free then."

"For sure. Bye."

I ended the call and found a pair of earrings to wear. I was running late which gave me anxiety and I didn't want to make a bad impression on a first meeting.

"Ready?" Dave peeped before walking into the room.

"I am. I need to leave, like now."

"Your folio is in your car, I also added your laptop just in case you need to use it."

I raised my arms when he aimed a bottle of spray at me. "Thanks. I'll call you if I need anything."

"Kill it, Jade." Dave blew me a kiss before I left the office.

The universe was weirdly on my side that evening because there was barely traffic congestion. When I arrived at the restaurant, a valet collected my car keys and I strolled in. I took my reserved seat and relaxed once I confirmed my guest wasn't present yet. 

I ordered a glass of white wine and I was half through with it when I saw him approaching. I stood to exchange brief air kisses with him.

"Ben Jonathan but you can call me Ben," he introduced himself. He was a forty-ish bespectacled guy in a well-fitted suit.

"Jade Collins."

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine." I smiled when I heard him laugh. I took my seat and met Ben's eyes. "I ordered white wine while waiting-"

"That's no problem. Hope I didn't keep you waiting for long?"

"Not at all."

"Great, what are you having?"

I picked up the menu when he asked and perused it. "I've never been here so I'll go with a safe dish. I'll be having the spaghetti Bolognese."

"I'll have that also." Ben recited our pick when the waiter came to take our order. "How's the business?" he asked before I could begin my killer introduction.

I buttered the complimentary bread and responded before taking a bite. "Thriving. Trying to take on more clients." 

"Yes, isn't that the reason we're here? You think you can style Kerry better?"

"If I'm given the chance. I've worked with a large number of celebrities and no one is yet to voice their displeasure."

"I looked you up online. You'll definitely do well with her judging by your track record but Kerry is somewhat different than your regular celebrity."