BIG BOOBS? CHILE.

I had a date night with Amaka. She'd picked a weekend when she knew she could drop her kids with her mother. I wasn't exactly sure what she wanted us to do, but I knew she was coming to my house first. I heard a knock at my door at exactly six p.m. and when I went to check who it was, it was Amaka and she was holding a woven basket. I noticed she wasn't dressed for an outing, she had on a short, jeans skirt and a white crop top. I hugged her and helped with the basket.

"What's in here?" I asked when we got to the kitchen.

"Food, babe."

"I thought we were going out. You guys were hell bent on finding me a man."

"With the others then. I don't have the strength to dress up for an outing, the kids have sucked up all my energy."

I smiled and took the napkin off the basket. She'd packed hard boiled eggs, apples, bags of chips, peanut butter, wine and salad. I took them out of the basket and arranged the food in small bowls.

"We should go to the pool," Amaka said.

"That's perfect. I can't remember the last time I relaxed by the poolside."

"Go change into a bathing suit and meet me outside."

"Let me help with the snacks first."

I carried the tray full of food to the back of the house and Amaka walked behind me holding the wine and wine glasses. We settled in the lounge chair with our wine glasses half-filled on a table beside us. I munched on some chips and stretched my legs.

"You really want to start without me?" I asked when Amaka removed her skirt. "I've not changed yet," I said in case she forgot.

"Hurry then." She took her wine glass and sipped. "The party has started."

I took a bag of chips with me as I went back to the house. I got a pair of yellow bikini from my closet and changed into it. Amaka was back lounging in the chair when I joined her outside. She opened her eyes as I sat on the other chair.

"Ready?" she asked, standing from her seat.

I stood from mine and took her hand as we walked to the edge of pool.

"Why are your boobs so huge? Aren't you a b-cup?"

I looked down at my boobs, and they were truly bigger than usual. "Period boobs," I said.

"Or you're pregnant," Amaka said and laughed.

I didn't know exactly what happened, but it was like a switch went off in my brain as I was about to laugh off the comment.

"Are you okay?" Amaka asked when I walked back to the chair.

I didn't answer her. I was thinking about the last time I had my period, I couldn't remember when. That was a sign of trouble. I knew something was wrong all this while, but I never thought it was because I hadn't seen my period in months.

"Are you pregnant?"

"I don't know."

"How can you not know?"

"Stop talking, I have to think."

Amaka remained silent by my side as I thought about all the times I had sex with Chike. He always used condoms, always. I relaxed and smiled. I learnt my lesson right there, I was going to resume taking birth control pills. I'd stopped after Kola left, not for any sentimental reason but because I wasn't having sex.

"I'm not pregnant, I'm probably about to see my period. I've not had it in a while and that should be because of all the stress I've been going through recently."