Reunion

Ae

Three years ago my soul was wrenched in half and I became a shade, drifting through life without conscious thought and barely noticing the passage of days. 

I was newly graduated from university with a job secured through my internship. I poured everything I had into that, letting it all consume me. Letting the time pass. There were moments thought, with my family, with his family, where I came alive again, where I had no choice. 

Two years ago, I felt something shift inside me. A year had passed. I had survived it. I reconnected with friends slowly, easing my way back into the real world and fully taking my place at the office. My boss had been patient and now I endeavoured to make him feel proud. Still, I was disjointed and shallow behind my own door. I missed him with every part of my being.

A year ago, I said the words "Next Year..." and realized that time had passed again. I held my first showcase, gained clients and began commission work. I poured all my hope and pain into it and let the time pass some more.

Six months ago, I was still alone but I could now say, "This year..." and it made all the difference.

A month ago the words "Next month" became a lifeline. There was such a marked change that everyone commented on it. Even my work changed, taking on a happy feeling. I was smiling. I was almost myself again. But I was still alone.

Then, suddenly, it wasn't next month but next week and life became a bit surreal. Sort of like I was floating in a dream. Time would pass unnoticed and days blurred with effortless speed.

Soon it was that next week became tomorrow and tomorrow became today... then an hour ago, and now a minute ago... What am I supposed to feel as time flies? Is fear normal?

He is the person that I love. The person that has influenced every decision I have made for the last 3 years. He is the wellspring of my unexpected creativity and the reason why I try so hard to be a good person. He is my every thought and breath, my focus and my energy.

Now he is here.

"Flight xxxx from Heathrow, London has arrived. Persons boarding Flight xxxx to Glasgow, please stand by, there has been a delay..." The announcer states as I walk to the arrival gate and look around.

"Ae, you made it." I turn to face that voice.

"Mom, you know I wouldn't be able to miss this." We hug tightly.

"You look pale. Are you ok? Nervous?" She brushes my shoulders lightly.

This woman I call Mom is actually not my mother. She is willow thin and beautiful. These traits she has passed on to her son. It is because of him that I am here in this state. It is because of him that I have grown to love and treasure this woman.

"Honestly mom? I feel like I may pass out any second now. I feel hot and cold and my palms are sweating like crazy. My stomach hurts." She lets out a delicate peel of laughter as she grabs my shoulder. I swallow and try my best not to embarrass myself even more.

"Oh Ae. You are a treasure. Is anyone else coming?" She asks this because a friend of mine tends to make himself comfortable where he's not wanted.

"I didn't tell him. I don't want Pond here. He'll make everything a big deal. It's bad enough he claims he was waiting for Pete to come back so he could get married when what he really has is a case of cold feet. Don't know why thought. He knows he loves ChaAim."

"Maybe that's why he's got cold feet. Maybe he's worried that he might actually mess up if he makes it permanent."

"Aim's smart mom. She's not going to give him a chance to mess up." I say with surety because I know it's true.