The Aftermath of it All

Everyone could hear the loud sound of something breaking the moment Pete left the room. Ae was pretty sure it was the vase that sat on the table in the hall. Pete was understandably pissed and, since it usually took him a long time to get this riled up, Ae was inclined to let him have his way freely.

Dali fidgeted under Ae's intense stare. She read death in his eyes and that wasn't an exaggeration. She found herself actually praying for the police to come quickly so she could have some relief. As usual they were a disappointment. It took them 15 minutes of her sweating and wringing her hands to knock on the door. Even worse, now that she knew they were here, they took their time coming up the stairs. 

When the door did open, her parents were standing right behind them and to say they were pissed would be an understatement. 

Her mother rushed forward and slapped her so hard she erased Pete's handprint and replaced it with her own. The police soon held her back but she wept and raged at her daughter. It wasn't an act either. Dali was their pride an joy and had always been a perfect role model. They took great pleasure in her even if they were disappointed in their own marriage. Now she not only harbored a known criminal and assisted in her escape but she also took the illegally gained DNA of Pete and attempted to impregnate herself. 

"How stupid can you be, Dali!" Her father thundered as Ae slipped out of the room and followed the trail of ceramic carnage to his lover. Pete was crying harshly in an end room. When he had thought it was all over, here was another new horror. 

"Baby." Ae pulled him in and Pete held him tight for a heartbeat before suddenly pushing away and spinning around to attack something else.

"How could she do this! What did she think she would benefit? That I would run to her with open arms because she is having my baby?! That I would accept this and be ok with it?! How was she going to hide this?! Run away and meet Kara? Ae! I can't deal with this anymore! Who else is going to turn up with my baby?!"

Finally. Ae had been waiting for Pete to reach this emotional turning point. He had had an entire trek and a secret base invasion to reconcile himself with the fact that there would be children. Quite a few of them, in fact.

"I don't think Kara will give anyone else from her stash. Dali was acceptable because she was Dali. She also loved you and Kara needed her help to get the things she required. I am sure that she plans to have more than one baby. I am sure that she already has things in place. She has been planning this for a long time. However, if she is desperate enough, she will contact the places I told her to. Once she does, we'll have her. No matter how long it takes. No matter how far away she goes, we will find her. I promise you this Pete."

"Ae. This is an impossible promise." Pete whispers through his tears.

"Pete. Nothing is impossible." Ae pulls him in again and this time he clutches Ae and weeps brokenly. Ae runs his hand through Pete's hair and the firm strokes manages to calm him eventually.

"Why aren't you more upset?" Pete hoarsely asks after a bit.

"Because I had days to talk and rail and curse about this. I killed bugs and dodged weight and motion sensors thinking about this. I crawled through mud and ate dirt, all because of this. I wanted to get to you sooner but at the same time I didn't want to make any mistakes. I literally made all the right choices except for coming to you in time. Maybe it was supposed to be that way. Maybe the universe felt there should be more little versions of you running around to bless the world with your awesomeness. I don't know."

He looks at Ae and for the longest minute until Ae begins to wonder what he's thinking when suddenly he says this.

"I want a little Ae too. Please. We can choose someone. I want a little you too." Something in Ae's chest quivers. A look flashes in his eyes and Pete smiles. He knows Ae wasn't even thinking about it. That the thought never occurred to him. Pete asking thought, is another story and Ae can never resist his lover.