Trouble

Ae

I have always been an early riser. So when my eyes open at 5 am after being asleep for just half an hour, I curse, pull Pete closer and inhale his scent then close my eyes again. My phone rings. Pete whimpers in his sleep and I grab the thing off the dresser.

Can? What the hell?

"What?" Can's used to my sleep croak by now so he doesn't even comment.

"Tin just got a call from one of his links. Medthanet wants to serve you papers to remove the statue. If you don't they plan to take you to court."

"Don't give a fuck. I need to sleep."

"Oh? Your usually up at this time. It's why I called." Tin mutters something in the background and I take advantage of Can's distraction.

"Bye." I lower the volume to silent and turn to see one of Pete's eyes staring at me while the other is buried in the pillow. 

"Everything ok?" He mutters softly.

"Can't think," I admit. A yawn sneaks out and I bury my face in Pete's neck to cover it. 

"OK. Think later. Sleep now...

I don't wake again until 11. I roll out of bed and get myself together before heading into the kitchen. I pulled out some of the seasoned pork I kept for myself yesterday and made joke. It's a soft rice congee soup and easy for Pete to eat. I had some fruit too so I sliced it up while the pot was cooking and made some chai spiced tea for myself.

While I waited on the joke, Pete wondered out. He looked refreshed and carried two phones.

"I grabbed yours since it was lighting up." I looked at it. 10 missed calls and over a hundred lines. I sighed and handed Pete a fork, pushed the bowl of fruit towards him, then checked my messages.

I read the ones from Can first. He's sent me a lot more details than I couldn't have assimilated earlier. I chuckle. They don't bother me. It's some of my most generic work and I'm not the only person who could have created the statues. They don't have a good leg to stand on.

My boss thought, knew it was mine right away. I had to explain the entire story to him. He wasn't too pleased but he understood. He called me about 5 times around 9. Shit. I called him back.

"Hey boss. What's up?"

"Finally poked your head up?"

"I'm not a turtle, but yeah." I checked on the soup while he chuckled.

"Ok two things. You and your Pete are invited to my baby girl's birthday princess glitter rainbow party. Did I get that right?" A little voice piped up in the back and he chuckled. "And you have to bring Pete. I was told to tell you it's not optional. Don't worry you have a couple of months and invitations will be sent out but someone insisted I call you this morning."

"Pete, you have to come with me to a birthday princess glitter rainbow party. Shay's orders." He blinked and shook his head.

"I guess I don't have a choice then. Just let me know when it is and I'll mark it down. Maybe we can bring Yim." Pete's trying to be serious about this but his lips are twitching and his eyes are twinkling. I blow him a kiss.

"Yeah. She should be free. She was my plus one last year too. It's a go Boss." I turn off the stove and move the pot to the next burner. "So what's the rest?"

"About that statue. I heard a rumor last night that Medthanet wants to take you to court about it. The idea is to destroy your reputation and make Tin look weak in the process."