A Tiny Step Towards Progress

Ae's entry into Cassie's hospital room was quiet. He didn't want to wake her after all she had been through and he knew from Phana's breakdown that she had been through something he couldn't imagine. 

Is this what Pete will look like when I get him back?

Will I get him back?

 He stayed there, just taking in her face. Her entire left cheek was swollen and the eye black. Her lips were puffy and bloody. And that was what he could see. The broken arm and fingers, busted ribs, damaged knee. He couldn't find the courage in him to check. He might just puke. The thought of such a tiny frame taking so much damage...

Fuck! Fuck fuck fuck!

"Who told you to go cage fighting today huh." He finally said softly and dipped some tissue into a cup of water to wipe her mouth. He carefully wiped the blood away then wet another tissue and just rest it there for the moisture to soak in.

"You worked really hard Cassie. Thank you for all your efforts." He wished he had better words to tell her how much he appreciated all she had gone through for Pete and himself but he felt like there weren't any in the world that would help him better express himself.

"Ae." She croaked it out, her lips barely moving.

"Don't talk." He took the tissue away and she moaned.

"Water." Or at least that's what he though she said.

"I'll drip it into your mouth. Here." Carefully he dripped water into her mouth until she finally turned away slightly.

"Sorry." Her voice was a little clearer.

"What are you telling me sorry for? I should be saying that to you." Ae answered after putting the cup down and wiping her mouth.

"I din no crazy... cud hit so had." She said slowly and Ae grimaced. He wished Crazy was in front of him right now so he could hit her back twenty times as hard. It didn't matter if she was a woman. She was dead.

"Neither did I. Believe me." He whispered softly so she wouldn't hear the frustration in his voice. He didn't want her to think he was blaming her in any way.

"Pete... Look at property... Ass Thals for report."

"Ok I'll remind her." He wasn't sure what she was talking about but she said ask Thals so he would. She got quiet after that and Ae stayed with her until he was sure she was asleep again. He felt it was the least he could do before walking out and headed to Thalia and Nigel. 

"She woke. Asked for water. Then she said crazy hit really hard. Fuck." Ae gripped his hair and pulled, trying to get his brain to stop imagining what that could possibly mean for Pete. He took another deep breath.

"Also she said something about asking you for a report on Pete's property. I don't know what that's all about but I really don't care at this point. I just wish Crazy was in front of me so bad. She looks so tiny in there." Ae ran his hands over his face and Thalia looked away. She had felt her heart clutch when she saw Cassie in there like that. It had damn near killed her.

"Your not the only one." She muttered and locked eyes with Ae. They understood each other immediately.

Nigel let out a breath. He always gave them 15 minutes after Cassie reported Pete was ready. She usually checked the front area before Pete left so that meant the fight had lasted roughly 10 to 12 minutes. That was the only thing that made sense. Once his alarm went off, he checked in with Cassie and when he got no reply he immediately called hotel security and they did the emergency lock-down.