Change...

Pete

I got home in time for dinner with Mae and a friend of hers, visiting from Japan. He was a nice guy but I think he liked Mae. I wasn't sure how I felt about that especially since Mae showed no interest herself.

"Why were you looking at him like that Pete?" She calls me out on it after he has left.

"Oh. I was just thinking about the fact that you don't date Mae and he really likes you."

She blinked at me like I was speaking in a weird language and I realized that she was not aware of his feelings. How could she not be thought? His signals were so clear. Then she laughed.

"I think your reading too much into this Pete."

"Mae. He reminds me of Ae when we were in college. Ae would get my food simply because he wanted to even after I figured out how to work the cafeteria line. He touches you casually but in intimate places. He looks at you with longing and I definitely know how that feels right now."

She looks very amused by me but I know what I'm talking about. I'll have to ask Tin to take a look at him for me. Sure they have been old friends, but he doesn't have to come and visit personally so often.

"Anyway. Can we have our meeting tomorrow? I know I was supposed to meet with you on Friday but Ae and I kind of made plans to talk and..."

"Come see me tomorrow afternoon at 3 and we'll talk then. So how are you really feeling right now Pete?"

"I feel like I'm not totally lost and floundering. I actually had plans, things to do, an agenda. I also saw Ae and it was reassuring so I feel much more confident about everything and if there is a setback then I'll work through it. I've learned how to do that. He was good for something after all."

"Do you think things would have been different if you had stayed here?"

"No. But I think his methodology changed me. I mean, I am still Pete but when I would have backed down, I can stand up and when I would have held my voice back or not said anything, I will speak up because if I don't the consequences could be dire. That was the first lesson he ever thought me. Not just him either, the both of them."

She hugs me and I bury my face in her neck and inhale her scent. She has always smelled like roses though we have never named our hotels as such.

"I have been keeping track of him Pete. Do you want to know what he's doing now?"

"No. I don't care what he does, as long as he will never come near me again." I shudder. I don't even want to think about him.

"I see. Well if you ever need to know, just tell me."

I kiss her cheek then remember something. "By the way Mae. Who did the paintings in my room? I was thinking of adding the artist into our hotel roster. I noticed his work wasn't at Noir. Or were you planning to use him at the new hotel?"

"Why don't you check out the name yourself. It's on the painting. And, honestly, he uses many mediums. I don't know why we never contracted him and he's never offered. He just does it and brings it to me because he wants to. It's more of an outlet for him than anything else."

"Oh." Now I am really curious and a little suspicious. I try to think of all the people I know who paint or do any kind of art works and no one comes to mind, except Ae and Pond who are good at it but not really interested and Tin who can actually draw but had never been that interested in painting anything.

The work on my wall is very realistic if a little melancholy and quite fluid. It almost has a 3D feel to it, as thought there is movement on the canvas. I am so curious as to how the artist manages this.