Thinking About Possibilities

Ae

I collected the mail from the box before driving Pete into the house. He was on his last full dose of pain meds so I wasn't surprised when he napped all the way from the hospital to the house. When we arrived, I carried Pete in before going back to get my things but Cassie beat me to it. Herself and Nigel carried in whatever I had and I was really grateful. They both would be staying with us because Cassie has nursing experience and Nigel was a security and technical expert. The other three had picked their spots and would be doing whatever they needed to do.

Par Jiew came out to meet everyone and had them sitting with plates before them in the time it took for me to inhale. I smiled and looked through the mail because sometimes there was something here for me. 

I didn't notice it immediately and almost opened it before I stopped. The letter had no return address and didn't even have postage stamps. It just looked like it had been hand delivered into the mail box. 

I asked Par for a ziplock bag and slipped the letter inside before I washed my hands carefully then called Detective Dami. 

"Ae."

"Pete and I are home now. I collected the mail and received a weird letter. I touched it and almost opened it but I stopped and put it in a ziplock bag. It's addressed to Pete, has no return address and looks like it was hand placed into the mail box."

"Ok. Did anyone else besides yourself touched it?"

"One of the security people we hired brought the mail in from the car but I don't think they touched it directly. It was in the middle of the pile."

"Ok. We were coming by to see you this afternoon with some questions and an update so I'll change my schedule and have some people with me within the hour."

"Ok thanks."

"A suspicious letter?" Nigel asks me after swallowing some noodles.

"Yeah. I was looking some stuff up last night and it says usually in cases like this the victim gets hate mail and sometimes they even put poison powders and other stuff in the lining of the letters that can hurt the recipient, make them sick or worst case, kill them. If the idea is to kill Pete or at least get rid of him, this is a good chance."

"Ok so from now on we'll be opening your mail because where the box is on your property, I never thought someone would have access to it. Par or someone would have to let them in for them to be able to drop off the letter into the box."

"I just thought of something. Par. Did anyone come here delivering gifts for Pete?"

"Yes. Several people delivered gifts." Jar looked at us questioningly. It wasn't a strange occurrence for something like that to happen.

We stared at each other and saw where someone could have snuck in. It was easy to walk in after a car and walk out right after one too. Also if you sent a service, then the service person simply had to follow direction. Then again you could dress like a service person and pretend to deliver a message yourself. Too many people would have come through that time for Par Jiew to keep track of them all. 

"When was the last time you checked the mail, Par? Yesterday?"

"Yes. The mailman also came in today as well as some services dropping things of for the Master and Missus. I usually go out to collect things and sort them around 5. By then, most mail and messages have already come in. I also sometimes check in the morning when I know there is something urgent coming in."

"Makes sense. And you usually open the mail Ae?" Nigel wanted to be sure. The letter was addressed to Pete so it was possible the person did not know the house dynamic and assumed that Par would get the mail or that Ae would only deliver the mail and not open it.