Chapter One: A New Beginning

A year and a half,

Yes a year and a half has passed since the war with Negan and so much has changed. We've rebuilt Alexandria from the ground up and have so many new additions to our groups. Alexandria, Hilltop, Oceanside, and The Kingdom have all joined together to bring new life to this new world.

Maggie has taken over as leader of Hilltop. We all voted for her against Gregory as she is obviously a superior leader.

"Hey Rick!" I call as I watch him saddle up a horse. "Where you headed?" I ask

"Going on a run to DC in a few. You keep things running here." He says as I shrug. That's all I've been hearing for the past year now... 'just keep things running here.' 'Just hold things down.' It isn't fair, why am I treated like an outcast?

"Yeah... Okay." I mutter, "I was thinking maybe I could go to Alexandria and-"

"Kendall, you know how I feel about you going there. Especially alone."

"I won't see him!" I yell out in frustration.

"I don't even want you near him. End of discussion."

I'm practically 24 years old, 24 and he still treats me like I can't make my own decisions. Like I'm that doe-eyed 18 year old he met on Hershel's farm. It's ridiculous, but I respect him. Usually.

I let out a sigh of defeat and retreat back to my room. I can't stay here any longer.

"Hey, I'm going to the sanctuary you wanna join?" Rosita asks poking her head in my room.

"Hell Yes." I say following her out of the house.

When we arrive I see everything is practically dead.

"It's been a while since I've been here, what the hell happened?" I ask.

"Well, they can't support themselves without taking from others. Nothing will grow here. Eugene needed help with something, thought you might like to do something other than the usual bullshit Rick makes you do." Rosita explains.

"Thank you, I thought I might die of boredom there." I explain as we walk into the factory. It takes me a second to adjust to the atmosphere. All the saviors eyes are on me. Some of them remember me from when I was here originally, others remember me as the girl taken hostage.

The number of saviors have decreased over the past year. Julie, Negan's old "wife" who I hated, chose to leave with some guy. God knows where they went, hopefully far far from here.

I begin helping Eugene as best as I can with whatever it is he is doing. I think I am finally getting the hang of it when Daryl emerges through the doors. He's been taking over the sanctuary for a bit now since they haven't been able to themselves.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He snaps.

"Eugene needed help so I came here with Rosita."

"Well stay out of the way." He says immediately regretting his nasty words.

"Sorry, we lost someone out there." He apologizes before talking to Eugene and Rosita.

"Kendall." Rick calls from behind me. "I thought I told you to stay at Hilltop and hold things down."

"Nothing ever happens at Hilltop, plus Eugene needed some help so I came here. To actually be useful." I explain rudely. I love Rick like a father but man is he getting on every one of my nerves.

He lets it slide and goes to talk to Daryl.

"Kendall, can you get Daryl for me?" Eugene asks as I nod my head.

"I don't think I can do this anymore. I don't think I can be the one leading these people anymore." Daryl says as I move closer to hear the conversation following them loosely behind as they walk.

"Okay, why's that?" Rick asks.

"I just can't stand being here, ya know? I think I want to go back to Hilltop for a while, check on Maggie and the Baby. I'm better out there."

"He kept this place in order, in line, we can't just let the Sanctuary fail. Even after what happened."

"Nothing grows here, it's a damn factory." Daryl says.

"Well if you go someone's gonna have to take your place and I'm not sure who's gonna do that. Eugene and Rosita are headed to Oceanside." Rick explains.

"What about Kendall, I'm sure she'd be more than willing to. Not like she does much these days anyways."

"Absolutely not. You really think that'd be a good idea?"

"I think it's a great idea." I say startling both men.

"How long have you been standing there?" Daryl asks.

"Long enough. Oh by the way, Daryl, Eugene is looking for you." I explain as Daryl leaves.

"Rick, I want to run the sanctuary. If anyone can do it, it's me. I know the people and I know how things work." I explain.

"It's not happening! You're not ready for something like that!" He yells.

"It's like you don't trust me! Or is it that you think I'm just not capable?" I argue. "You know, ever since I was taken by Negan things have really changed, you've changed, everyone has changed. I feel like a God Damn outsider. But when Daryl or Eugene are taken here and escape they get a whole welcome home committee. I don't belong with you guys, I don't belong with Negan, it's like where do I even fit in anymore! I've been with this group for nearly 4 years. I risked my life to get Daryl out of this place. You think that would prove some commitment!"

"I'm just trying to keep you safe! I lost you once, I lost Carl. I can't take risks anymore!"

"I'm nearly 24 years old, I don't need babying! I can make my own decisions and choices. I'm a grown woman Rick. I'm skilled, smart, resourceful and you won't let me prove that. You don't trust me to see Negan, hell you won't even let me breathe near Alexandria! I can't come here because God forbid I'm reminded of anything that happened! Screw you Rick Grimes." I say storming out.

"Don't you walk away from me!" Rick yells after me but I'm too pissed off to care.

I go to the only place I know is mine. The only place I've ever felt safe here.

The roof.