Chapter Twenty Seven: Comfort

The next day comes quicker than I expect it to. We decided to do a group burial ceremony in Alexandria. Originally I wanted to bury them by the pikes but I didn't want to risk drawing more attention to us. Not to mention we didn't want the others to see how bad those who were killed looked. We didn't want that to be their last impression of them. So we cremated the remains with permission of each family and friend of course.

I decide not to say much, people are still upset with me so I let the families take the lead. I do however stand to speak about Rosita, Father Gabriel, and Jim.

After the services I receive many dirty looks. Everyone stays silent for the most part, that is until Earl Sutton comes up to me. I can smell the booze on him. He's been drinking again.

"This. This is your fault. All your fault. First my boys dead, now... my wife." He is slurring and crying.

"I can't imagine what you're feeling Earl. And if there's anything I can do you let me know."

"You can- can- you can step down as leader. Find someone n-new. Or you can kill those bastards all of em." He says as Alden leaves Enid's side and approaches him.

"Hey, it's not her fault. She didn't know." He says grabbing his shoulders, "She didn't know." He repeats, "let's get you home and to sleep. We wouldn't want to do anything stupid." Alden says guiding Earl back to his home. I give Alden a thankful smirk.

Michonne comes up to me next. She clearly saw everything that just occurred, "listen. I'm sorry you're taking the heat for all of this. But we really need a plan."

"I- I have one." I lie.

"You do? Why haven't you told me about this? Why have you been leaving me in the dark recently?"

"Because you have a family to focus on. Listen I know things are still difficult. And there's a piece still missing in all of us but listen to me. I can handle this."

"No you can't."

"We tried things on your terms! We did the council, locked the doors on the communities! Shut the world out! And I get it, especially now more then ever why you decided to do things this way, but you need to understand that things are different now. And you have to have a little bit of faith in me. I'm begging you."

"One chance. I'm giving you this one chance. But you need to keep me informed on everything that's going on here in Alexandria. Hilltop is hilltop, kingdom is kingdom, but Alexandria is home."

"Call for a town meeting at two o'clock tomorrow. Also bulk up security. Obviously these sick bastards got in or lured our people out somehow. I won't let it happen again. We won't let it happen again." I say as she nods.

She's so stubborn and I know her not having control kills her inside but she knows Rick wanted me in charge. She knows if anyone can think like him, or think like Carl, it's me. Now for the real problem, my lack of a plan.

I begin to walk home to prepare something for this town meeting I decided to hold when I see Eugene sitting on my porch stairs. I let out a groan not wanting to talk to him.

"Kendall. Where the hell is Lydia?"

"That's none of your concern. I took her out of here to keep her safe."

He begins to grow increasingly frustrated.

"Just hear me out... I have a plan. There's going to be a town meeting at two o'clock tomorrow to discuss it."