Chapter Forty One: The Great Reunion

Judith, Michonne, and I make it back to Alexandria with ease. Michonne takes Judith home to have a long talk. Once they leave I walk to Negan's cell. Of course I find it empty but I just sift through his stuff. He has a good amount of books in here, it isn't until I come across a familiar title. 'Of Mice and Men' I smile to myself as I sift through the pages. I find other best seller books and organize his cell. I clean up the books and make them into a nice column on the shelf. I also make his bed. I know I don't have to do this, but it puts my mind at ease. After I am satisfied with how it looks I lay down on his bed and close my eyes.

I probably fell asleep for an hour or two because when I wake up it is the crack of dawn. I shut the cellar door on my way out and walk back to the infirmary. The streets are quiet, people must just be waking up. I stop at my house to change first. Then I am back on my way. I pass by Daryl who is feeding his dog. I offer him a shy smile but he continues on with what he's doing. My radio begins to go off like crazy as I quickly respond.

"Kendall. Main gate. ASAP." Someone says nervously as I rush over. Daryl hears the urgency on my radio, grabs the crossbow, and follows me. Michonne is waiting there too. I walk to the top of the gates where the guards are standing.

"What is it?" I ask as they hand me binoculars. I look through them and down the road is Negan with what looks like a bag and flowers in his hands.

"It's Negan." I say to Michonne and Daryl.

"Should we capture him?" Dan, a guard, asks.

"Just shoot him." Daryl grumbles.

"No. Wait. Open the gate." I say "let me go out there." I rush down the the gate and move as quickly through it as I can. Everyone crowds around to see what is going on. Part of me wants to run into Negan's arms but I don't. Stray tears flow uncontrollably down my cheeks but I don't care.

"Honey I'm home." He jokes pathetically and I stare at him angrily.

"Are you stupid? You could've gotten yourself killed!" I scold smacking him hard across the face as everyone behind me goes silent.

"Who do you think you are leaving me like that? Don't you know I'm pregnant! Don't you know Judith went after you! I thought you were dead!" I say getting overwhelmed with emotion.

"I brought you flowers." He says as I sigh. "But I brought you something else I think you're gonna like a hell of a lot more." And with that he lifts a bag that is oozing with liquid. It smells like absolute death.

"Negan what the hell is that, it smells like pure death." I complain

"Tell me about it, I had to walk all night and all morning with this shit." And with that he opens the bag revealing what appears to be Alpha's head.

"You're shitting me." I say

"I most certainly fucking am not."

I stare at him and then turn around. I point out Michonne and Daryl and wave them down as they come over.

"Look in the bag." I say as Daryl snatches it from Negan's hands. He opens it and pulls out Alphas head nearly dropping it to the ground.

Daryl grabs Negan by the arm and guides him to a secluded room. Michonne, Daryl, and I just stare at each other for a moment.

"This real?" Daryl asks.

"Of course it's fucking real. What? You think I'd pull a fast one on you or some shit?"

"Forgive me if I'm not quick to trust you one hundred fucking percent." Daryl snarls

"Why would you come back here again? Why'd you do this?" Michonne interrogates

"Shit, I don't know. Maybe because Kendall and you and lumberjack over there don't fucking trust me. I'm trying to earn trust back, especially from you." He says eyeing me down. "I've been in that cell for years. I've been the model fucking prisoner. How can I prove that I've changed for the better in there? I can't. I tried once, when you all left my cell door open. I could've killed a lot of your people, but I didn't. And you still didn't trust me. So I had to fucking do this shit. Rick didn't kill me, he thought there was a better way. And when he was gone, you didn't kill me either. At first I thought it was a load of bullshit, but being in that cell gave me a shit ton of time to think. You had me sold, and what more could I have done to prove that? When these fuckers came and hurt Kendall, I was seeing red and Earl gave me the perfect fucking opportunity. He came drunk as a fucking skunk down to my cell to release me. He wanted to instigate a war between the Whisperers and the communities. He wanted you guy to fight gladiator style to the death. And what did I do? I shut that shit down."

"You did no such thing." Michonne snaps. "They are aware you crossed the border, you put us at risk."

"Bullshit! I was a lone man who could have come from any which fucking direction. Your people who came after me nearly blew my fucking cover and almost destroyed my plan. And are what put you in danger. Had you not sent them, they would have never known, and you wouldn't have been at risk." He says looking at me.

"Don't look at me. I didn't send anyone after you." I say. "I could've handled that shit alone. I had it, okay? I didn't need you stepping in."

"Well of course you did, shit Kendall, there is a guy three times your size who could've stepped on you. Like a fucking bug. I did this shit so you could get a piece of fucking mind. So you could relax and focus on our family."

"The fuck he mean by 'our family' Kendall?" Daryl interrupts and I'm about ready to knock Negan on his ass. "You... you pregnant?" He asks.

"Yeah... twins." I mutter under my breath mentally cursing Negan.

"Twins?" Negan and Daryl say simultaneously. Daryl looks at me and then Negan and walks out. I didn't want him to find out this way but it was going to happen eventually.

"Can you give us a moment or two?" I ask Michonne.

"Yeah, I'll uh... I'll go talk to Aaron. I'll be back in a few." Michonne mutters leaving. As soon as the door is shut I turn my attention to Negan.

"So, Twins? As in two?" He asks

"Yes, congratulations you can do simple math." I huff.

"Oh those mood swings must be at full fucking speed." He taunts.

"You wanna... you wanna see them?" I ask. He gives me an odd look as I pull out the photo placing it across the table. His hands are tied so he can't use his hands to hold it.

"That's them?"

"Yeah."

"Do you know the genders?"

"No. I wanted you to be there. I wanted you to be there and you weren't. And I didn't know where you went, or if you were coming back. I didn't know if you were dead or alive."

"But I'm here now. And look! I even gave you head as an apology." He smirks gesturing to Alphas severed head. Only he would find a way to incorporate a sex joke into every conversation.

"Well I guess we should get you back to your cell until we can decide what comes next." I say.

"Shit at least let me shower first. And come on we've got to find out the genders. Fingers crossed for two boys." Negan jokes.

I ask Michonne and she agrees to let him shower. After his shower we head to the infirmary really quick to ask Saddiq. He already knows the genders and said he would tell me when and if I wanted to know. We enter and the infirmary is empty.

"Hey uh. How you feeling?" Saddiq asks eyeing Negan.

"Fine. Was just wondering if you still remembered the genders..."

"Of course. You have the picture?" He asks as I dig into my pocket for it. Once I retrieve the photo I hand it to Saddiq.

"This one here... that's the boy. And the other one, is a girl." Saddiq informs us as I can't help but to tear up a little.

"One of each?" I ask as Saddiq nods his head.

"Fuck yeah. I'm finally gonna be a dad!" Negan exclaims happily.