Chapter Ten: The Future is Now

6 years later

I open the familiar cell door.

"Come on, you can shower." I say opening the gates. This has been the routine for the last six years. I've been trying to get Negan out of the cell and in the community, playing lawyer daily. But the most I've been able to do is let him shower. People eye us oddly, some frightened as we walk down the street.

I feared Maggie would change her mind, come back again to finish what she intended to. But she didn't. She took Hershel and left, abandoning Hilltop instead. Michonne and I have mainly been running Alexandria together. She has been extremely lenient with me letting Negan walk around a bit more. She knows he won't run, and she knows I would never let him. The communities have begun to grow apart due to lack of communication and some other conflict that had raised between us.

After Negan showers we return to his cell. On the way we pass by Rick and Michonne's house to see Judith sitting on the steps. She watches in amusement as I walk him back.

"I'll get you something to eat." I say before leaving the room.

I throw together a sandwich and walk back to the cell but I hear a voice on the other side. Who the hell could be in here? I open the door slowly.

"Judith Grimes!" I scold as she slightly flinches and turns to face me. "Are you out of your mind? You're lucky it wasn't your mother coming in here."

"Lighten up, the kid was just curious. You're starting to sound like Rick."

"You. Stay out of it." I say putting his plate down.

"Come on, we need to talk." I say to her as she crosses her arms but follows.

"Listen, you can't be in there, especially alone."

"But he's been in there for years. He's probably so lonely."

"Yes sweetie, I know. But it isn't that simple. He's done bad things."

"So have you, so did my dad." She says as we walk.

"I know, it's just a bit more complicated than that. You see, Judith we aren't that different."

"We aren't?"

"No. I see the good in people too. So did your brother. But sometimes that can get you into trouble."

"But it's the right thing to do."

"You are right. It is the right thing to do but it doesn't always mean it's the safest." I explain as we walk back to her home.

"Are you gonna tell my mom?"

"No. Not this time. But you really can't be snooping around there. Not alone. If you want to see him ask me first at least. I know you're curious but sneaking around isn't the way to do it."

"Okay." She sighs as we approach her home Michonne standing outside with her arms crossed, an unamused expression plastered on her face.

"Judith I thought I told you not to wander off."

"I- was... just."

"I was just going to the garden to check on the crops. She followed me wanting to go. I told her she had to go back and check with you first." I lie for her.

Michonne lets out a sigh.

"You know you are supposed to ask me every time you leave this yard."

"I know, I'm sorry." She says guiltily.

"For that go to your room." Michonne says.

"But-"

"But nothing. Go. I'll be up to talk to you."