Chapter Twenty One: Contact

"Pregnant?"

"Yeah. Pregnant."  I respond failing to make any eye contact

"I fucking knew it."

"What do you mean you knew it?"

"You dropped this when you were going full blown out crazy on my ass." He says pulling out the bag with my test in it. I snatch it looking away from him.

"I thought you said you couldn't-"

"I know what I said, but I'm telling you this is like a one in a billion chance. But I mean considering we have the dead walking around now, I guess anything is a damn possibility." I respond cutting him off. "You better not say shit to anyone."

He stares into blank space for a few minutes. I don't think he knows how to feel.

"Is it mine?" He finally asks as my blood begins to boil.

"Is it yours!? Of course Negan, you think I'm some kind of whore?" I snap.

"Now I never fucking said that, it was just a plain and simple question. No need to read shit deep into it."

I begin pacing around the room.

"I fail to see the fucking problem with this."

"The problem is I'm pregnant with your kid. And nobody can find out."

"How long have you known?"

"A few days. I'm not far along, not far at all. I'd say a month so who's to say it's going to work out to full terms anyways? Even if I do have a kid, how am I going to explain that their father is locked up in some makeshift prison? In fact, how am I going to explain any of this to anyone?"

"You don't have to explain jack shit. Would you just calm the fuck down. I mean shit these hormones must be at full fucking speed already."

"Piss off, how are you so calm about this?"

"Well... I told you I always wanted kids. Maybe not with you exactly... but I wanted them." He jokes as I roll my eyes.

"You're an ass, you know that?"

"I've been told that once or twice before."

"This is unbelievable." I sigh

"Yeah you're telling me, I'm shocked too. You do realize you can't hide this forever, you know people are going to notice you blowing up like a fucking balloon right?"

"Don't remind me." I say running my hands over my face and through my hair in frustration.

"You really should get checked out by a doctor or some shit. I mean you look underweight."

"Wow nice to see you actually giving a damn about something, how refreshing." I snarl annoyed. Yeah suddenly he finds out I'm pregnant and he has a sudden interest in me again.

"Come on now don't be like this."

"Don't. I'm still really pissed off at you. I mean you tell me you don't need me, I'm no longer of use. After all I've done for you! Then you find out I'm carrying your kid and everything is good again? I'm suddenly of use to you?"

"Kendall, you know damn well I didn't mean that shit."

"Save it."

He lets out a long, loud, and dramatic sigh.

"I've got to go." I say looking at the ground.

"Well, would you at least fucking look at me? Or even just breath in my fucking direction for fucks sake."

I look and make eye contact, bad idea.

"What the hell can I do to make you trust me? I mean shit darlin' I get it. I fucked up, I fucked you hard in every direction. I mean I literally have but I'm talking symbolically too. And not in the good way. I've screwed up so many damn times and you still come back, you still don't give the fuck up on me. You've devoted so much fucking time, so why stop now?"

"Because as you say it best Negan, I've wised my ass up." I snap before leaving. I return Lucille to my closet and head back for Hilltop. The drive helps clear my head a little.

As I begin to arrive I feel as if I am being watched. All this stuff has made me so paranoid. I enter the gates to talk with Tara.

"How have Henry and Lydia been?" I ask.

"Haven't seen much of them recently but they seem to be causing no trouble. Lydia hasn't tried to leave yet or anything, in fact she's been pretty polite."

"And the new group?"

"They've been alright too."

"Well that's good to hear I guess. I'm still a bit on edge about everything but I have a feeling Rick and Carl would've wanted it this way."

She nods agreeing and gives me the work load list. There is a lot to do. Like a lot.

I gaze at the list and then back at her.

"This is why I really needed your help. Even when Jesus was leader he was gone half the time and as you can see I've gotten behind, a lot."

"Yeah I can see that. It's fine if we split the list in two we can get it done quicker." I say as I begin sorting jobs.

About an hour into my work Tara frantically comes running toward me.

"Shit. Kendall. We have a problem at the gates."

"What kind of problem?" I ask following her as we both climb to the tops of the walls and peek over.

Sure enough there are like two dozen of these walker whispering people. At this point a crowd of Hilltop people have formed below Tara and I.

"Are you the leader?" A woman's voice calls.

"Say something." Tara nudges me.

"Of Hilltop? No, not exactly, a leader? Yes." I respond before continuing, "What you have gathered here, it's very impressive. And I do not want any kind of conflict between us. But you should know we are more than capable of defending ourselves if we have to, and we will without hesitation." I yell to the woman.

"Conflict? There will be no conflict. You come into our lands? Then conflict. You kill our people, there will be conflict. You are here, and there is nothing here, nothing that I or my people have any interest for." The woman speaks stepping toward and reaching towards her face which looks almost identical to a walkers. I watch in confusion as she begins pulling and tugging at the skin. Finally removing it before speaking again.

"I am Alpha. And I show you my face because I mean no harm. We only want ONE thing from you... My daughter."