Chapter Twenty Nine: A Turn Of Events

I once again am awoken to nausea and vomiting. It's been like this for the past few weeks. I rinse my mouth out with water and light a candle to brighten the bathroom.

Ever since the posters have been put up a few weeks ago Michonne hasn't been too happy with me. She thinks we are focusing too much on them and not ourselves. She sees right through my plan to divert their attention for a little while. She doesn't blame me for doing it, but she went as far as saying I'm getting too much like Negan. Little does she know it was his idea. Negan may be an asshole, but he's not stupid.

We have been pulling through and it turns out this Military thing I schemed up isn't too bad. We are learning to defend ourselves and it has for sure brought the communities together. Eugene has been working like crazy with a team of people to make ammunition. I don't understand where he gets all the supplies. We have at least two hundred people who signed up to train to fight. Everyone is willing to help out in one way or another. Some of the older ladies cook for the people while they train. Others offer to learn to make weapons. Earl has gone south since his wife and child died, so Alden has really stepped up in blacksmithing.

I throw myself into a shower and get dressed. I have a big announcement for everyone today. I throw my hair into a tight ponytail. It's been a while since I've worn it back but it makes me feel the most confident. I slip into an oversized tank top and some black colored leggings. My jeans have been getting slightly too tight because of my slight baby bump and the tank tops have really been doing a nice job at hiding the evidence. I assume I'm about sixteen weeks aka 4 months pregnant now and it's finally starting to show. Its still able to be hidden but it's getting more difficult every day. I am actually a little nervous because I thought I'd be showing more by now. I finish up by tying my combat boot laces and grabbing my notebook of ideas.

I make my way to our little makeshift town hall where everyone is already gathering. I stand to the front of the podium on a wooden platform and begin to speak. I have to shout loudly for everyone to hear.

"I know a lot of you are antsy to take action and we will. We are finally going to go into Whisperer Territory and gather information. We will try to gather numbers, try to find strengths and weaknesses. Things we can hold above them and use against them. We already have one thing they don't, gun power, ammunition. We can take them out from a distance without having to get too close. They have limited guns, most of their weapons are made for hand to hand combat. After collecting information we will plan strategy, the best way to approach things. We will make them pay and regret ever crossing paths with us." I say as everyone shouts supportive cheers.

"I just need your patience. It's been a long and tedious process and it's time it comes to an end. We will be sending groups in and out to complete this task this week, starting today. Thank you for all the help and support you've been giving. We truly need to band together, especially during times like this." I explain locking eyes with Michonne who doesn't look the slightest bit pleased with me.

At the end of my announcement I meet with the small group we are sending in to whisperer territory. It consists of Magna, Yumiko, Aaron, Daryl, and a couple other members from Kingdom. I know these people are strong and smart enough to complete the task.

"Just a clean sweep, find out as much as you can without getting noticed. In and then out, you hear? I'm not arranging anymore funerals anytime soon." I explain as they all nod. Daryl just kind of gives me a side eye. We've been in a weird place recently.

"So what exactly are we looking for?" Aaron asks.

"Numbers. How many of them are there, dead and undead. Just be observers, find out how they live, what they do all day. Watch for anything that may be useful when it comes down to us having to fight them. Just watch from a far and do not engage unless it's life or death, understood?"