Chapter Two: Outsider

I stare at the white clouds as they slowly glide across the baby blue sky. I take deep breaths trying to calm myself down. This is the place I went to when things got too much. When Negan got too much.

"Can we talk?" Rick asks as I don't even bother looking at him. I just sit on the ledge. Out of the corner of my eye I see Rick sit down.

"Listen, I'm sorry. Sorry for making you feel like you don't belong. But you know how I see you, like you're my own. It's just been hard, I try to do whatever I can to protect you, Judith, and well practically everyone. But you're right... you are smart, and skilled, and you HAVE already proved that. I just know how Negan is, and I don't want him manipulating you again. Considering you two had some kind of romantic history together, which I will never and probably am better off not understanding. That puts you as a target."

"No, that puts me as his weakness." I mutter, "we've all done things we regret. And I'm not validating what I've done, or you've done, or what he's done. But that's just how it is. Negan killed Glenn and Abraham, but how many of his men did we kill? Remember the prison, you tried to co-exist with the governor. Took all those people in after. We could do that again. Maybe not now, but we can prove to Negan that we don't have to stoop to his level to lead. He's been doing his time in that cell just like any other criminal would. But our hands aren't clean either."

We sit in silence as Rick thinks about what it is I said.

"I'll- consider letting you run the sanctuary. You're right, you are ready for it. But it's a huge workload and they aren't the most cooperative. I'll try to help when I can but it is a lot, it may be too much-"

"It won't." I say.

"Come here." Rick says engulfing me in a hug.

"This is a very nice view." Rick says staring out over the trees, changing the subject.

"Yeah, it's quiet, nobody really comes up here that much. I used to come up here years ago. When things got too much between... well, you already know."

"He asks about you every time I see him." Rick bitterly admits.

My heart flutters, "oh." I mutter unsure of how to respond.

"Anyways I got to go make sure shit didn't fall apart while I was gone. I'll check in with you later." He says patting me on the shoulder.

I spend a few more minutes before walking back down to the main hall. I can't help but to think about what Rick had said.

It's been a while since I've gone to visit Negan. I've snuck over there only a few times but I feel like I must go again soon. Although everything inside me screams to stay away.  My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of Rosita's voice.

"Hey you ready to go?" She asks as it takes me a moment to respond.

"Nah, I think I'm gonna stay a night."

"You sure? Daryl will be here so you won't be alone."

"Yeah I'm sure, thanks."

The day drags on as I spend most of my time in my old room. I sort through things and debate weather to keep, donate, or rid of them. I write down all the changes I plan to make to the sanctuary.

It must be midnight by now and I walk outside for some fresh air seeing Daryl sitting on the steps smoking a cigarette. I cringe.

"Hey. Care if I join?" I ask as he holds his cigarette up offering me some of it. I take it from his fingers and throw it on the ground, putting it out with my boot.

"There's enough trying to kill you."

"It's late, shouldn't you be in bed?" He asks as I roll my eyes.

"Still nothing worth dreaming about yet." I say looking into the night sky. "So, you really going to Hilltop?" I ask.

"Yeah, I don't know how you can stand it here man. Considering everything that happened."

"These are still people that need all the help they can get." I explain. "I'm going to be taking your place it seems." I explain.

"You are?" He gasps.

"Rick says he'll consider it, but I feel like there's a good chance because I don't know who else is willing. You sound surprised."

"I mean, do you think it's a good idea?"

"What do you mean? You were the one who suggested it..."

"Well yeah but I didn't mean for him to take it to heart. Listen Kendall, it's not that I don't think you're strong enough to do it but I don't think it should be your place. You've suffered enough here and it's a lot of weight to carry. Especially for someone who has never led people before. It's hard enough for me to handle them. They ain't people, their animals. They don't want to work with us but only do to survive. Maybe you should stay at Hilltop. Safer there."

I begin to grow angry. I understand he is saying this out of care but it still hurts that he doesn't believe in me.

"Why does everybody doubt me! It's like nobody believes in me. Its like I am such an outcast, an inbetweener. Ever since everything happened everyone's been treating me different and I don't understand why. I was captured just like you. Eugene was playing it off like he was Negan's second in command and was welcomed back with open arms. Tara has been on the wrong side before. Why is it so different with me?"

"Well maybe because none of us fucked the enemy!" Daryl mutters matching my anger.

"Andrea fucked the governor and we still tried to help and accept her!" I practically yell in disbelief.

"Yeah and look where that got her! Dead!" He yells as I stormed off.

"Kendall wait..." Daryl sighs

"Save it!" I say as I walk back to my room. I shove clothing and my written plans into an overnight bag and head for the garage. I grab a bicycle and begin to make my way to Alexandria. Normally I'd take a car but gas is so scarce recently that I don't even bother.

I need to go. Go to someone who I hope will actually listen to me. Actually understand and won't doubt me.

I need to see him.