Chapter Forty Four: The War Ends

When Negan and I arrive in Alexandria the streets are empty. Everyone is in hiding. This is not the end of the war, not yet. Beta wasn't killed and they will be back for revenge. But they are hurting. We sent some of our top people out again. Including a group Carol made a deal with known as the highway men. They are strong fighters and know these lands just as well if not better than we do. They are going to bring Ezekiel Beta's head and I have faith they will.

Without Alpha and Beta the group will eventually keep moving out of these lands, if they haven't already. We are family, we are strong, we don't give up on each other.

I send for Eugene to tell everyone to come out from hiding and to meet in our town square so I can update them. When everyone arrives they have nervous looks on their faces.

"The battle was a success, we lost some very good people but we gained the upper hand. The military is going to finish this by taking out their newly appointed leader. A lot of the group is gone and they are scared, more than scared, they are panicked. We were able to split them up strategically and take them out. I know killing isn't always the way, but we gave these people their chance, and these people are well... animals. Rabid animals that needed to be put down." I explain as everyone listens intently "Nobody will he allowed in or outside the gate until we get the okay from the military, but the curfew within the walls is lifted." I say as everyone cheers. After my announcement I go to meet with Michonne.

"So, the war is practically over... what now?" 

"We live." Michonne says.

"What about Negan?" I ask.

"Still haven't decided. I don't like the idea of him sleeping outside the walls. We can't just keep him in the cell?"

"What if we let him loose during the day, lock him up at night. Think of it as parole."

"That's not a bad thought, I mean... he did kill Alpha. And I know deep down, even if I don't want to believe it, had we not been there for Judith... he would've been. I'll present the idea to the council, but he's your responsibility... if he fucks up that is on you. I'm still not happy with it, in fact I'm sure a lot of people aren't."

"Well you talk to them and let me know. I'm not going to sit here and defend him anymore. I pleaded both his and my case many times before, I'm sure you're sick of it by now. But I just really want to be able to move forward, and if that means me leaving for the better of the group so be it."

"You're pregnant, with two kids, you aren't going anywhere. You've held this place together. You got us through the war. You came up with that idea of a military, you kept us safe. And you saved my daughter. Judith needs you. She's lost too much already, I can't take anymore from her. I won't."

"As long as you want me around I'll stay, but unfortunately Negan and I are a packaged deal now. I won't have my kids growing up without a father figure while he's still around. As unfit as he may seem, he is still important. And he wants to be apart of every step..."

"I know I was really tough on you. And I'm sorry. I've been thinking a lot about what you said, a lot. And sometimes at night I see those people we've killed in my head. And when it comes down to it. He did only kill two or three of ours compared to the amount of people we've killed. I get what you're saying. But those who he killed meant the world to us."

"I know they did. And I'm not asking you or anyone to forgive him, hell I haven't even forgiven him. And I don't think I ever will. Not because I don't want to, but because I can't. But people change. Look at Lydia, she's a perfect example. She went from trying to trick and kill us to protecting us. She turned against her own mother almost overnight. She put her trust in us, she believed in us, she fought for us. Negan got out of his cell, nobody even knew. He could've killed A LOT of people... but he didn't. He could've joined those Whisperers, but he didn't."

"I know. Trust me, I do. We will see how things go with him this week. Then... we go from there." Michonne explains.

"Where is he now? The cell?"

"Yeah. Daryl took him there I think."

"Thanks." I say walking to his cell. We are due for a talk.

"Can we talk?" I ask opening Negan's cell gate.

"Well shit, I've got all fucking day so why the fuck not." He says slightly irritated standing to his feet.

"So I just spoke with Michonne..." I say capturing his attention.

"Yeah, what's the fucking verdict? Another five years, time off my sentencing, better meals each fucking day?"

"No... actually we came to an agreement. You get to be out during the day, wherever you please. But at night they want you locked in here... until you've proven you're not going to kill anyone again."

"I have fucking proved it, these fucking shit bags! I risk my fucking life doing a plan they almost fucking ruined-."

"Negan. Please. Take the deal. Please. It's only for a little while..."

"I guess I don't really have a fucking choice, now do I?"

I shrug then let out a sigh... "Negan... I'm sorry I was so ungrateful. You risked your life for Alexandria, for me. Every time I'm hurt, you are there to fix it. Every time Judith needs someone to talk to, you are there to listen. It just really fucking kills me inside when the man I've come to both hate and love with all my fucking soul tells me I'm useless. Tells me I'm just a one night stand. Tells me I'm practically the dirt on the bottom of your shoe...." I can't help but to tear up as I speak. Negan wipes the tears with his thumb.

"I know. And I'm really fucking sorry for all that shit. I know apologizing doesn't fix it. But you know me better than anyone in this shit hole of a world. You sniffed out the bullshit from day one. I was a real fucking asshole to you. A genuine grade fucking capital A asshole. I wonder every damn day how in the hell I got so damn lucky to end up with someone like you. You always give me chance after fucking chance when I should've ran out of that shit years ago. Shit, if it wasn't for you I'd probably have killed my fucking self like a damn coward in this cell. The only fucking reason Rick didn't finish me off was because of you and Carl. But you want the truth? Here it goes, I'm glad we are having a family together... I now feel like I have a real fucking purpose again. The thing is, I killed your people for killing my people. And you killed a shit ton of them. And I did it to protect my people, I'd do any fucking thing to protect you now..."

"I know." And before he can speak another word I crash my lips onto his. And it is glorious. It is the most genuine passionate kiss we have ever shared.

"So? Where to now... now that you're a half free man." I ask.

"Hm... I was thinking, the bedroom." He winks as I can't help but laugh.