Chapter Five: Cut Like A Knife

I sat on the edge of my bed drowning in my own thoughts. Suddenly my thoughts come to a halt from the sound of a knock at my door. Before I could respond Rick enters.

"We need to talk."

"No kidding." I say coldly not even bothering to look at him.

"Kendall, it's for your own safety that I don't want you sneakin' around him. I don't want him manipulating you."

"He won't, we have the upper hand now. And it's just... everything has been so difficult. You don't know him like I do Rick. And sure what he did to Glenn and Abraham was inexcusable and despicable as I've said before but our hands aren't clean Rick. We've killed when we didn't have to... and I'm not saying to let him out of there by any means but I'm just worried about everything that is going on. And Negan may have been wrong about a lot of things, but one thing he was right about was people are a resource. We lack laws, rules, structure. Saviors are dying and are going missing everyday and I don't understand. I don't even think the sanctuary wants me there. And I don't blame them, I can't keep them safe. They don't want Negan, well most of them that is, but it's obvious they can't keep it running themselves. That or I'm just a shitty leader."

"Don't say that, you are capable of more then you think. Maggie is a great leader for the Hilltop, but she doesn't seem to see eye to eye with how things should be run, not like you. I really think you could lead this place one day. You- you always wanted what Carl wanted to happen. You want his vision. Everyone does, but you are the only one who at least tries to follow my orders to make it happen, well... most of them that is. You'll make a great leader, the sanctuary isn't proof against that. I told ya from the start it's a mess. As for Negan, you're a grown woman Kendall. And if you want to be seeing him fine that's on your terms but no damn funny business. And I'm not saying I approve of it, all I'm saying is that you can make the decisions yourself."

"You mean that?" I ask becoming emotional. I've missed these heart to hearts with him.

"Let's go for a walk." He says wrapping an arm around my shoulders. When we get out of the Hilltop the sun has started to set but I don't mind. Rick and I talk and it feels great to be able to tell him how I truly feel about things until suddenly we hear the crack of a stick. Rick is just about to push me behind him when someone or something grabs me putting me into a headlock. I feel the blade of a knife pressing against my jugular as I let out a rigid breath. Another man emerges from the bushes next to Rick. I recognize him as DJ, these are saviors. Rick aims his gun at the man who has a hold on me.

"Drop it." Rick says to whoever has a hold on me. I look up to see Jed.

"Listen to him Jed." I say as he presses the blade a bit harder.

"I said drop it!" Rick yells.

"That's some solid advice, you should take it." He boldly responds. "You won't get me before I open her up. Ain't that right boss lady." He whispers in my ear. I cringe as his hot breath touches my skin.

"So what, you sit out here... waiting. You kill the others too?"

"Oh shit man you have no damn clue, we are not killing anybody... unless we have to." He responds sending chills up my spine. I remember the pocket knife I had. While he's distracted talking to Rick I slowly grab it opening it slowly with one hand.

"This is about the guns. Seeing as we are being hunted and all.. we are done being your little pet project. We don't need a babysitter, especially her. She can't even protect herself. We just need a little protection for our trip home." He spits

"It doesn't have to be this way. You really think an outburst like this is gonna get you a gun."

"Talk time is up. You, toss DJ your gun and we will be on our merry way." Rick looks at my hand and sees the reflection of the blade. Our eyes lock as if he is giving me the Okay to use it.

"You know I heard ya yapping about how every life matters and I gotta tell you, I'm right there with ya. But if you don't give me the gun her life won't mean shit." The man says digging the knife further into me. Rick continues to negotiate saying how if he kills me everything we built will be over.

"Rick they are just scared, they want real protection. It's over." I mutter looking at Rick as he repeats what I said putting down the gun. Just as Jed is putting down the knife I turn in the blink of an eye and stab him in the shoulder. He falls to his knees.

Rick directs DJ to his knees using his gun as a guide.

"Let's get you back and patch you up." Rick says to Jed.

"Why don't you just do away with me."

"Because... people are a resource." I say, words tasting bitter as they roll off my tongue. Those are Negan's words. "Shockingly even yours. You should know that." I add.

"So what, are you like Negan in training. Gonna start carrying a bat and wearing leather soon. How is the bastard anyways?"

"Enough." Rick says shooting a glare.

"Patch him up and send him back to sanctuary. I'll deal with them both later. Any word on Arat?" I ask. She has really been a helping hand around the sanctuary recently but since she has gone missing I have become more and more worried.

"Not yet." Rick mutters as we head back.