Chapter Nine: Pillow Talk

I shoot up once again in my sleep breathless. This is the second or third night in a row. I let out a sigh of frustration and once again do the usual routine. Grab my gun, key, pillow, and blanket. I walk out the door.

I have to be more careful about this because I don't want anyone to know where I go at night. They mainly assume I go to the river, go to see Rick.

I reach the familiar cell doors and open them. I tiptoe in and shut the door as quiet as a mouse. But as soon as I turn around Negan is awake and sitting in his bed.

"Were you waiting for me?" I ask uncomfortable.

"This is the only time I get to see you anymore. You gonna tell me why you keep sleeping on the nasty ass floor."

"Because I can." I say

"Come on Kendall you've been dodging me for days. Open up a little at least, stop fucking shutting me out so much."

"Fine. I'll tell you but if you laugh at me I'll never come see you again." I threaten as he waits.

"I- I get nightmares. Horrible night terrors. It started right after the apocalypse. Sometimes they get so bad I wake up and I can't move. I got them every night. At the sanctuary, when I was with Rick, when I was alone. So I just gave up." I have to bite my lip from crying. "That's why I don't sleep." I hang my head in shame, I must sound like a child to him. I wait for him to laugh or make a sarcastic remark

"You know, sometimes I get them too."

"You do?" I ask looking into his eyes.

"Yeah. Sometimes they are about Lucille, sometimes they are about you."

"Really?"

"Really."

"I- I never knew that."

"Yeah well no shit, because I just told you. But if you tell anyone I'll have to kill you." He smirks.

"Isn't that floor really fucking uncomfortable?"

"Extremely. But I've slept on worse." I say shrugging.

A moment of silence fills the air before I break it.

"Nobody wants to deal with you. Since Rick has been gone... we've been trying to figure things out. Apparently you're my 'project' now. They were debating on killing you. But Maggie and Michonne said we shouldn't. Of course I wouldn't let it happen but still... At least I don't have to sneak around here as much."

"So Who is the lucky son of a bitch that gets to run the joint."

"We do a council now... it's just a group of us that make decisions."

"Sounds like a fucking train wreck."

"Well... it's just for now I suppose. Or that's what they claim but I have a feeling this is gonna be how it goes."

"Well didn't Rick want anyone in charge? The man with a plan didn't have a fucking plan in case he kicked the fucking can."

"He did. But nobody is really sticking with it yet."

"Oh this should be good. What's the plan. Tell me his vision."

"Rick wanted Carl in charge of everything. Maggie in charge of Hilltop. And Michonne Alexandria."