Chapter Eighteen: A New Threat

Finally I make it back to Alexandria and return the vehicle. It's the middle of the night, I estimate about three am. I walk my way to my home and kick off my shoes. I walk straight to my room and lay down and stare at the ceiling.

Still no word on Michonne or Daryl or anyone else yet.

After sleeping for about an hour or so I wake up and begin to walk the streets of Alexandria. It's my shift to be on watch. I hang out pretty close to the gates. Suddenly I hear a vehicle and I go to see who it is. I open the gate and see Michonne with most of the others.

"What the hell happened! Are you all alright?" I gasp

"You were right. It was more than we thought. And they haven't evolved. The walkers, they aren't walkers." Michonne stumbles and rambles as I try to piece together her words.
"They are people... d-dressed as walkers. They were talking like you said and we lost Paul. They killed Jesus. We brought one back to Hilltop."

"You have one of them? This... this is my fault." I say sorrowfully

"No. It isn't."

"I should have been there!"

"Then we may have brought back two bodies!You aren't strong enough yet! It isn't your fault! There was nothing you could've done."

"If anyone is to truly blame it was my fault Kendall, I had a major slip and bang up dislocating my knee. They would've been quicker if it hadn't been for me." Eugene says

"Would you all just stop it! It wasn't anyone's damn fault!" Aaron shouts stomping off.

"We sent messengers to Hilltop and Kingdom. They took one of ours, so we took one of theirs." Michonne informs me.

"I'll... begin arranging the funeral. We will transport him back to Hilltop first thing in the morning. Who did they take? Are we sure this can wait?" I ask in disbelief. We can't afford to keep losing people. I'm so heartbroken and angry at the same time. How are we going to handle another group, another threat? Especially without Rick.

"They took Alden. These people, they sew the walker skin to their bodies. Like a mask or something. It's some messed up shit." Michonne explains as I scrunch my nose.

"Do we know anything else about them?"

"Nothing yet except they are our newest enemy. Tara is going to talk to the one we captured in the morning." She pauses and parts her lips. "I better get back to Judith and RJ."

"We will talk more in the morning." I add as she nods her head agreeing.

I walk back home miserably and start making arrangements for tomorrow.

Before I know it the sun rises and what a shock, I didn't get a minute of sleep.

I take a shower and pick up my ponytail holder, but then set it back down. I brush my hair and get dressed. I then walk out of my home and down the street. I wave hello to Jim who is carrying a plate of food.

"Where you headed?" I ask

"Negan's cell. I love what you've done with the hair by the way." My heart skips a beat. Not because of the compliment, Jim is nice, a good friend and all but he's not my type. Apparently I'm into abusive assholes who need psychological help, and Jim clearly doesn't fit that mold.

"No that's okay, I'll take it." I smile

"It's really no trouble." He responds as we continue down the road.

"No really I'm headed that way."

"No kidding? So am I!" He jokes as beads of sweat form on my forehead.