Chapter Forty: The End Of A New Beginning

I sit on my fucking ass once again. I hear rustling from behind me and out pops Alpha. I can't hold my tongue any fucking longer. What am I doing here? I just saw the second love of my fucking damn life risk her life for a little girl while these bastards would've fed her to the dead first chance they got.

"You know what. Protecting the weak is the whole fucking basis for civilization. If you're not protecting the weak, you're not fucking civilized. You're fucking animals."

"We ARE animals Negan. Civilization is a myth. That is the truth this world has taught us. We have not risen above our basic instincts. That is what always has and always will drive us. That 'ugliness' you saw back there? Don't look away, stare into it. See what we are. That is the only way to free yourself."

I pause for a moment, "bullshit." I snarl.

"If your 'instinct' is to hurt another person to get pleasure from their pain... then you're a monster and you need to be put the fuck down. I've done unforgivable and unspeakable things but I didn't do them for nothing. I did them with purpose, I did them for the greater good. Not for pleasure. There are so many thems for us to unite against. And you let that shit happen to your fucking people?"

"This is nature! Only the strong survive! If you don't have the strength to fend them off. You have to develop the strength to overcome." She argues as she turns to walk away. "You are punished... you sleep on your own out here. With no protection. You won't be seen or heard from out here in the dark. IF you are strong, we will speak tomorrow."

"Get back here and sit the fuck down. Talk to me!" I demand as she stops in her tracks but refuses to turn. I can tell she is crying.

"There is nothing more to talk about." She mutters cold as ice.

"I'm not the thinnest dick at the orgy. I see how things work here. You're Alpha, until you're not. You show weakness and it's all over. I don't want to be Alpha, you don't have to worry about that shit. I'm Negan... that's better. You have Beta protecting you, in time I think you'll see you'll have me protecting you too."

"Beta does not-"

"He does, and you need him to! And you're a fucking hypocrite. You wouldn't be Alpha for a fucking weekend without his big ass giving you longing looks and him cock blocking those savages."

"My strength, my rules, they hold this place together. I must be strong for them! I let them have my daughter, I thought it would make her stronger. I thought there was no other way to live in this world. I miss her so much! I'm weak." She cries.

"I um... I lost someone really close to me. Before all of this happened. One day they were there, and then they died. And it broke me. I didn't think I could feel anymore. I didn't know if I could go on. But then a new chapter of my life began. And I had a chance to fix shit, and I blew it. And now I'm just trying to fit the pieces back together. But the fucking point is. There is always another way, there is always a new chapter, a new fucking chance to change shit and make shit work. I'm not perfect, I know I may seem it, but I'm far fucking from. You tell me to crush a field full of babies to keep breathing, I will. You tell me the only way to keep people I care about alive is to turn some poor fellows head into a bowl of fucking gravy... I will. It's survival, I don't think about it I just do it. But like I said, I'm broken. That shit is NOT living. I'm dead to the world, I have little to no remorse no matter how hard I try. But you? You're just pretending. You think it makes you strong to pretend emotions aren't real? It's all a game, and you are not winning." I inform her.

"Maybe, you do belong here." She mutters looking into my eyes.

"Maybe." I say and before I can think twice I plunge my knife deep into her neck.

"But I don't WANT to be here." I say as she holds her neck gasping. No, I'm not going to leave her like this. I'm going to do what Rick should've done to me. I don't stop there, I cut all the fucking way through, I keep going until her head is well separated from her damn body. Then I hold her lifeless head up to my face.

"Wait til Kendall gets a look at you." I smile carrying her head through the woods. Along the way I find some wildflowers and pick them. Ladies can't resist a man with flowers, right? I walk through the border and hope if I move quick enough, to make it to Alexandria by morning.