Chapter Forty Two: The War Begins

"Listen what he's done is unforgivable, but he brought Alpha's head. That's got to be good for something. Plus if we didn't save Judith, he was going to." I explain to the group which consists of Daryl, Aaron, Michonne, Tara, and Carol.

"Says who?" Michonne asks

"Judith. She's the one who saw him alive. She told me he was running towards her til he saw me, and he stopped."

"Well how do I know he wasn't gonna hurt Judith instead?"

"Because... he adores her. More than anything. He's not a monster, that women he killed? Alpha? She was a monster. She believed in rape, and leaving the weak to fend for themselves, she believed they were animals, she threw Lydia to the curb like she was garbage... her own daughter. Negan has done some unspeakable things. Sure. But he always protected someone, even if it was in the most fucked up way. Also he's right, he has been a model prisoner. Maybe I'm biased, maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but there is no denying he has changed for the better. And I think we should give him a chance."

"You think we should just have him walking around here all free? You really think that? Come on Kendall, let's be realistic." Carol says

"What if we just outcast him. Drive him somewhere and let him go?" Tara suggests

"He's been in there for what Eight? Almost nine years? He deserves a chance. We still have a major problem, the Whisperers are going to come after us sooner or later and we need to focus on that first. But I think we should let Negan out. Him doing that for us could've got him killed."

"He ain't staying here." Daryl says.

"We've all fought for the wrong sides and the wrong things at one point or another." I coldly admit the hard truth.

"We need to think of the safety of our people Kendall." Aaron interrupts.

"Fine... the old abandoned storage room down the road. He can stay there. He will have his freedom and won't be within our walls. And then... when the time comes, we will both leave."

A couple sounds of gasps happen.

"So you're just going to up and leave us? For him? Typical." Tara says, she's been pretty cold to me recently.

"No. I'm doing it for my unborn kids. Who will get bullied and looked down upon for something they didn't choose. I made the mistake of choosing Negan and that was on me. I have to live with that and I can't do that here."

"Well come on, let's just think of a different option." Aaron says.

"I think it's the perfect option." Carol shrugs

"We need you here." Michonne says, "keep him, since he is so dedicated, he fights front line against the Whisperers. Make him earn his freedom. He talks a lot of words, let's have him show some action."

Our conversation is interrupted by a few of our radios going off. I'm quick to pick up mine.

"This is Kendall. You're on with well... pretty much everyone."

"There's a massive hoard headed our way. I'm talking hundreds. Estimated time of arrival is one hour." A lookout tells us. And with that we all jump to our feet. We must keep Alexandria safe.

I am quick to alert Eugene to get the military ready. We've had a plan in place for weeks. We will split them into two or three clusters and shoot them all down. We have hundreds maybe thousands of bullets left over and we are about to put them to use.

"I'll go get Negan." I say sprinting to his cell. Once I arrive I swing open the door.

"Get dressed." I say tossing him jeans, white tee, and his jacket.

"What's the occasion?"

"Your frontline to fight Whisperers... let's go."

"Fuck yeah. But I need my Lucille or the deals off." He says "also it was mighty kind of you to clean up my cell while I was away."

"I got bored." I say rolling my eyes as we go to my
house to retrieve the bat and then the gates. Everyone eyes us like we are a freak show. Judith runs over and gives me a huge hug, when she tries to do the same to Negan Michonne intervenes. Daryl asks Judith to watch his dog while we are gone. Dog wouldn't make it two feet into the battlefield. The military heads out first and now we wait until they have been able to break them up and kill a good amount of them.

"We are safe. We will remain safe. Send everyone to the storm drain to wait for now. Just for a little while." I order to Saddiq. After an hour we head out through the borders. When we arrive we see our people fighting with all their might. They are seeming to be struggling so we jump in immediately. Magna goes on horseback with Yumiko to lead some of the hoard away to some traps we have set. Negan, Daryl, Michonne, Aaron, Carol, Ezekiel, Jerry, Tara, Connie, Kelly, Alden, and I all move in. We stick together as we move in closer. Out of the bushes comes a man probably double my height. This must've been who Negan ran into. Daryl shoots him in the shoulder with his crossbow but the man pulls it out snapping it in two as I just watch.

"Oh shit. Beta Mctwoknives. We meet again" Negan says. Daryl and Negan actually work as a duo to go after this guy while I fight off some other Whisperers with Michonne and Tara. Eventually our group is somewhat separated. The only people I can see is Negan and Daryl who are forced into a cave looking thing together trying to take down this 'Beta' guy and I see Michonne. I try to keep her in eyesight as we both fight. We eventually find each other back to back as we continue to fight from each side. We mow them down with our guns and when they get too close we take out our knives. Bodies surround us like crazy as they drop like flies. I keep looking in the direction of the cave and the longer they are in there the longer I begin to worry. Seconds feels like minutes and grow increasingly more nervous as to what could be happening in there.