Five Minutes

In the corner of my eye, I was able to see that there was light. Dim but strong enough to see that came from the porch. Jack pulled me close to him, getting me out of sight just in time as I heard the front door open and words being spoken. "Hello? Anyone out there?" It was my dad's voice. Without thinking I opened up my mouth to speak but it was soon covered by Jack's hand. Pulling me closer to him as we hid further into the darkness.

My back was able to feel his heartbeat and my ears hearing his shallow breath. My skin feeling how that black ooze is and my own breath becoming hard to catch. I struggled against his hand so I could breathe but he misinterpreted it as me trying to escape. His hold got tighter and the oxygen was ceasing. I heard the door closing but no footsteps, thinking that he went back inside. With that, Jack let go and I was able to finally breathe but making sure it wasn't loud.

"Finally. It was so hard to breathe with you cutting off my oxygen." I said as soft as I could but loud enough for him to hear.

"I'm allowing you to get two things and two things only. Throw them out the window and I'll catch them so you can climb down. You got five minutes and after that, I'm leaving, whether you are here or not."

"Really?"

"Four minutes fifty-nine seconds." He said.

I frowned and started to climb the tree. Trying to stay cautious and silent as I grew nearer to my window. At first, it was hard to open it from the outside but able to open nonetheless. Immediately, I grabbed my diary that came with its own special pen and then a framed photo that had my real family. The one I had before my mom's death. Just looking at it made me feel happy and forget about the past two weeks. Made me forget about the past few years that I suffered but that moment was short lived as I heard a voice on the other side of the wall. My dad's voice.

"Yes, that's what I want on my Will." There was a pause, "Thank you for the concern but this isn't a hasty choice. This is one that I have thought about very hard." Another pause, "Yes. All the money goes to my wife when I die, that is correct." Once again. "It does hurt that [Name] won't be using it to grow up and have the future she wanted but now that she is gone it best that I leave it to Heather." The footsteps then started to fade, not letting me hear the rest of the conversation.

He was going to leave money for me if he ever died? And that money is what the witch wanted all this time. She treated me as if I was nothing because the money would have gone to me instead of her. I was left alone because of a sick gold digging reason. I wanted to yell, scream, kick, punch and break everything around me but instead, I just headed towards my window. Before I could stick one foot out, I saw another picture frame that was facing down. I picked it up and there I saw a lie.

It was a picture of me, blowing out the candles on my birthday cake just a couple years ago. My dad was smiling, his eyes looking towards me but it was the rest that made me frown. They were all smiling but I knew what they were thinking. They needed to pretend, to get on his side and to not show a pint of hatred. Even though they tried, I could still see that small pinch of anger in everyone's eyes minus my dad's. They all disliked and I disliked them back. I still remember the wish I made because it was the same wish I made ever since they came into my life.

I wish for my dad to leave these three behind.

Always the same and I never changed a single word.

I took out the picture of one frame and hid it inside the other frame, taking both pictures with me. I looked out the window and Jack was still there, waiting for me. I silently called out to him and thankfully he heard me. I threw my items out the window then hopping onto the tree to climb down, when my feet touched the ground, I just took my items, quietly walking back to the woods. Not wanting to say a word, afraid that I may explode.